What's keeping you busy today?

I’m dealing with the contractors who are repairing the flood damage to my basement…

3 Likes

I’ve been working on character sketches, setting, and world-building ideas for my book. :grinning:

3 Likes

Do mean what’s keeping me busy or what are my current excuses for not writing? :rofl: Current excuses = working on my 4th adult coloring book & my 3rd word search book. Keeping me busy = ignoring my excuses by organizing what I’ve previously written.

3 Likes

I’m trying to work on world building, but I’m getting bogged down by a question. How much is too much?
Some people tell me only to do as much as the reader needs to know, others say to have as much detail as I can for my own sake.
Edit: I’d actually love some opinions on this

3 Likes

Creating or coloring?

1 Like

I’m working on a character profile this morning. Well, supposed to be.

1 Like

Got home from work a couple hours ago. Now, I’m finishing up editing a chapter for a friend. After that, it’s tacos and some more sandboxing for the novel I’m doing for NaNo.

2 Likes

My opinion is that you should have as much information as you, the writer, need in order to fully visualize your story. You probably won’t use it all, but it’s better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

5 Likes

Thank you for your reply ^^
I agree, it’s better having more than I’ll need, but I think I’m getting to the point where I need to focus more on what’s actually happening in the world I’m building :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Creating. I have Faces, Costumes, and Creatures. Now I’m working on one that I might call “End of the Tail”. (All animal rear ends.) I finished an elephant family on the beach and then I was good and spent some time on my novel!

3 Likes

I agree with @kellygunteratlas. I research or create enough to fully visualize your story, but I never consider it finished. My MC may decide to become a pole dancer halfway through my story and that will involve a whole new offshoot of world building.

(I try not to go overboard, but I have been known to research the depths of the six sets of tunnels under Chicago and how the chef at the Palmer House tried growing mushrooms in one of them. )

3 Likes

Very nice. I’m preparing to get started in that as a side income soon.

2 Likes

Cool! I’m still working out how to create the right keywords for Kindle Direct Publishing. I can point you to some great YouTube videos.

2 Likes

So far, I have a couple of Udemy courses to finish, Servnomaster Coloring Books for Profit course, and I’ve been following Rachel Harrison-Sund on YouTube.

I’m certainly interested in more recommendations on the subject.

2 Likes

Rachel Harrison-Sund is great. Also look at Dale Roberts (Self-Publishing with Dale)

2 Likes

I actually did subscribe to Dale Roberts’ channel recently. I think Dave Chesson of Kindlepreneur and Publisher Rocket (formerly KDP Rocket) recently linked in a newsletter to Dale’s video on comparing 5 different tier levels of book cover designers on Fiverr. I noticed Dale also has LCP videos so subscribed to watch later!

I really want to get into this because I think the income stream will be good while I also try to get my fiction publishing off the ground. And, of course, it will be great experience for the self-publishing and marketing aspects of making a living as an author.

Edit: Corrected Rocket Publisher to Publisher Rocket

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking!

Dale livestreams writing sprints. Everybody writes and he times it, making you take breaks, etc. If nothing else it’s been keeping me honest!

2 Likes

Nice to have an idea validated by someone else having it too! Also, I think we’ve successfully managed to hijack this topic! Discourse is hinting to me to try to get others involved. :dizzy:

1 Like

Teaching eleven year olds how to organize their Google Drives…

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel like world building is something that’s never truly finished, no matter how much detail you put into it. There’ll always be something more to add.

2 Likes