Reverse engineering science fiction books

Im trying to decide on which 3 books i should look at to reverse engineer the plot. Its a course build and i want to use a highly popular novel(no matter the length) and not something everyone has investigated (e.g. LOTR or Hunger Games). My first idea was Jean Auels Clan of the Cave Bear. My second was On Basilisk Station by David Weber. What else do you suggest?

Orwell, 1984; Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451; or sthg more recent, Endersā€™ Game, Orson Scott Card.

But can I ask whatā€™s your objective? Plot isnā€™t the main draw of sci-fi, itā€™s ideas, theme, and the occasional high concept to twist old plot ideas.

If you want a master class in plot, Iā€™d always go back to my favourite, Pride & Prejudice.

1 Like

Im designing a course that uses PLOTTR tool and reverse engineering popular books in various genres to show how the tool can be used.

1 Like

What about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Might be fun to plottr Bladerunner in a related fileā€¦

1 Like

I love sci-fi. Been reading it for decades. In fact, I was recently arguing with a certain A.I. about the distinction between sci-fi and sci-fi/fantasy. Which is neither here nor there except to say that you have hit a most lovely chord with me.

So, there are a couple books you might enjoy breaking down. David Brin wrote many great, and real science fiction books. The one I would suggest for you is ā€œThe Postman.ā€ He also did the two Uplift series, and another beauty simply named, ā€œEarth.ā€

Second in line would be Ray Bradburyā€™s, ā€œSomething Wicked This Way Comes.ā€ I reread this story again and again. Very few authors have qualified to be reread these days.

Third you might enjoy breaking down ā€œSea Of Tranquility,ā€ by Emily St. John Mandel. This one us a recent publication, but it has stood out. A most intriguing and easy to read tale and yet she goes deep into how a single time ā€˜holeā€™ can affect generations of people. Her main character is a writer and I enjoyed reading about that as well.

Hope your endeavor is successful.

1 Like

Thanks. I have about 5000 options now. Iā€™m going to take a look at The Postman. That one sounds very interesting. As a rule, I find Ray Bradbury hard to visualize. While his books are allegorical and fantasy and almost always have some moral associated, sometimes they are over my head. The tool PLOTTR is very visual based so Iā€™m trying to pick books that have some of each of the five senses associated. I had trouble with F451 so perhaps Bradbury is too good a writer for me :smiley: Otherwise Iā€™ll check out Sea of Tran as well. I was also thinking of a YA fantasy The Scorpio Races By Maggie Stiefvater or Andy Weirs The Martian, or The Chronicles of Narnia. Soooo many. Thanks again

Bladerunner might be very interesting. I figure the course will hold five Scifi Fantasy so it will give a great overview of the tools. Bladerunner has some stunning visuals for location. Sounds like a plan stan.

1 Like

I have my 7 books and Iā€™m breaking them down now.
It was suggested to me to break down one book in each genre.
I think this is a great idea but Im a Sci fi lover at heart so I chose C.S. Lewis and Andy Weir.
Thats more Sci fi and Fantasy

The complete list is
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis (Fantasy)
The Martian by Andy Weir (Science Fiction)
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Historical Fiction)
The Miracle Worker (Screenplay)
Shakespeareā€™s Sonnets (Poetry)
The Hunger Games (a series tutorial)
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (Mystery)
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (Romance)

Ive finished 60 percent of The Help and these books are not easy. But I want this course to be fantastic.

Any feedback would be great. Iā€™m thinking so-so about The Hunger Games as the series tutorial. Everyone knows it but there are other choices.

1 Like