Writing Prompt, The Latest Diagnosis

Ever notice the way diagnosed disorders become catch phrases, especially in relationships gone bad?

Perhaps its true,perhaps there is another side to that story.

Narcissist, gas lighting, psycho, passive-aggressive, displacement, controlling, enabling, you get the idea.

Todays prompt. Write for 15 mins about a relationship that has elements of dysfunction. The twist, It all stems from gas lighting, the victim sorts out what’s happening and then turns it around on the abuser.

Definition of gaslighting

Psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended period of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one’s emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator

Gaslighting can be a very effective tool for the abuser to control an individual. It’s done slowly so the victim writes off the event as a one off or oddity and doesn’t realize they are being controlled and manipulated.— Melissa Spino
Gaslighting can happen in any relationship circumstance, including between friends and family members—not just in couple relationships.— Deena Bouknight

This is a classic gaslighting technique—telling victims that others are crazy and lying, and that the gaslighter is the only source for “true” information. It makes victims question their reality …— Stephanie Sarkis

How did you do?

Please share here if you like, we’d love to read what you come up with.

1 Like

The term “gaslighting” actually comes from a 1938 play, “Gas Light” (which was turned into a more widely known movie in 1944, “Gaslight”), where a husband manipulates his wife to make her think she’s actually losing her sense of reality so he can commit her to a mental institution and steal her inheritance.

2 Likes

I played Bella Manningham, Jen, in a local production of the play. :smiley:

2 Likes

I LOVE that movie!

What a dramatic exciting character to portray. The staring roll none the less!

There is nothing else like good theater.

My first experience with live theater I was just 5 years old. I have been smitten ever since.

Side note, there is a small theater in Campbell, CA. called The Gaslight (there almost famous).

I have often wondered if they drew their name from said play, but I could never find an answer to that question.

Has anyone else heard of The Gaslight Theater or know the origins of the name?

(It’s located just a stone’s throw up the road from the Winchester Mystery House)

1 Like