Write for a Living? What Other Skills to Hone

The business of writing can be just as critical as the creative content you put to paper.

Check out this article by Maria Elharaoui about the skills that can help you achieve your goals when selling your writing.

https://medium.com/swlh/7-essential-skills-for-writers-that-arent-writing-f6b3b7979864

Did you find these tips useful?

Are you a paid writer that uses these same skills?

Do you have any to add to this list?

3 Likes

As a 20-yr ex-project manager, I got this portfolio - more or less.
We’re missing number 8: time management. Getting stuff done. Absolutely essential.
Still failing at that one.

3 Likes

So true!!!

Personally, I have begun calling it energy management, because I some how find the energy to tackle the things I must do (and of course the things I would rather do) in the strangest corners of my psyche. It seems to help me keep on track by relabeling the skill.

(It’s like there’s never enough time, but I’ll gather up the energy somehow and soldier on)

3 Likes

I love the concept of “energy” instead of “time.” That’s it exactly. It’s a matter of prioritizing our writing as one of the important things we need to do, At my age, there’s only so much energy to go around. If I spend it all on non-writing tasks that have to be done, there won’t be enough leftover for the writing.

4 Likes

This is all so true. I think one of the most important of these is #6, Thick Skin. If you aren’t able (or willing) to take criticism, you might still improve, but it’s going to take a whole lot longer and be so much more painful. Being able to take tough feedback in the short term means a lot less pain in the long run.

1 Like