What's a book I should be embarrassed not to have read yet?

What book do you recommend I read next? What book should I have already read??

Iā€™m not sure whether Iā€™d say ā€˜embarrassedā€™ not to have yet read, because there are only so many hours a day in anyoneā€™s life, but I read a book by Alice Hoffman several yearā€™s ago called Property Of which was a very ugly topic (drugs, gangs, etc), but such beautiful, poetic prose that I ended up loving the book. Recently I started reading another of her books: Practical Magic. Whilst I have seen the film of this book, I chose to read it to savour the language. I have not been disappointed. Her voice is incredible, but I canā€™t pinpoint exactly how she makes her language so fluid. For me personally, I will probably work through the remainder of her reasonably extensive repetoire both for the pure enjoyment of her stories, and also to garner a better understanding of how she uses language.

So there is my recommendation for you: anything by Alice Hoffman.

3 Likes

I hope play scripts can be classified as books. Anything written by Christopher Fry. Heā€™s humane, deeply observant, and gently humorous. Iā€™ve returned to his writings in these strange times, just to get some reassurance that we donā€™t have to scream to get our point across. Special mentions: A Phoenix Too Frequent; The Ladyā€™s Not For Burning; The Dark is Light Enough.

2 Likes

Interesting! I will read.

2 Likes

I love that sort of book, where the style is lovely and yet not too showy.

2 Likes

This was the first play I directed (2007) and costumed, Daniel. Great cast. My husband designed the set and a dear friend and artist created the Attic-style urn and drinking vessels which still have pride of place on a top shelf in our sitting room. Great memories from start to finish.

2 Likes

I love The Ladyā€™s Not For Burning. Itā€™s one of my favorite plays. Definitely worth rereading.

2 Likes

I need to check it out!

1 Like

I have yet to finish, ā€œMoby Dickā€. Required reading 11th grade senior lit. Calvin Hanrahan. We turned his attentions to James Joyce and ā€œUlyssesā€. The man thought we were champions unto the literary world.

3 Likes

Ugh - ā€œMoby Dickā€! Yes, I had to read it for 11th grade senior lit and hated every minute, sadly. Iā€™m now much older (dare I say, four decades later) and I still remember with horror the need to read that book. Fifty odd pages of a description of sperm whales and their uses still makes me recoil.

Having said all that, Iā€™ve met so many people over the years who loved the book. And it is a classic, after all, but if we had no differences in tastes it would be a very boring world. Iā€™d add, however, that I loved the rest of that class, so it was only one book of many that I could not relate well to.

5 Likes

For me, the absolute requirement is to skip all the ā€œwhale factsā€ chapters. Then the book is much shorter and the genuinely terrific writing becomes easiest to absorb.

6 Likes

Perhaps thatā€™s what I should have done, and maybe one day will re-read (minus the whale facts chapters), but we analysed it to death too, which probably didnā€™t help. I stil recall being told that the three masts represented the holy trinity and other similar analogies. It didnā€™t ā€œdoā€ it for me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But donā€™t let me put others off. Youā€™ve got to make up your own mind on such important contributions to the literary universe.

1 Like

My mother loved the book. At her encouragement, I tried my best to read it, but I only made it about halfway. I kept getting bogged down with too much information or else my mind would start to wander and Iā€™d lose track of what was going on. I doubt Iā€™ll ever try again.

3 Likes

I mentioned having bought the Kindle (via Amazon) version of Rachel Aaronā€™s book ā€˜2k to 10k - Writing Better, Writing Fasterā€™ - in the Facebook group. I hope this is where you suggested I might repeat that post, Daniel.

2 Likes

Michael Endeā€™s Momo.

1 Like

Chapter 133 seems cherry.

1 Like

Her writing style as described in your post was enough for me - and Iā€™ve just bought two of her books, Kas. :nerd_face:

1 Like

@Lita Which two did you go for? Iā€™m still reading Practical Magic at present (very different, so far, from the filmed version) and thoroughly enjoying it when I get the chance to read, but she has written quite a few, so Iā€™d be interested in your view once youā€™ve read it/them.

1 Like

I am embarrassed to say that I struggle to read some of those old British classics. I know they are supposed to be good because they portray the era the author lived in but many are so sordid and depressing. I find DH Lawrence particularly difficult.
An new author I did enjoy reading was Diane Setterfield. I loved the writing of the ā€˜13th Taleā€™ and the initial idea but wasnā€™t so sure about the plot, in the end. I also liked ā€˜once upon a riverā€™ which was similarly told in a very interesting way.

1 Like

Practical Magic and The Rules of Magic, Kas. Iā€™ll post my review/s here once Iā€™ve read them. :nerd_face:

4 Likes