What should I teach at the summit?

Okay. The summit starts tomorrow. Everything looks great. 1,700+ writers have registered!

Question: what should I teach in my three “character-first” sessions? What would you like covered? What should I focus on?

(Yes, I am preparing my own sessions at the very last minute!)

1 Like

The idea of the character having an unrelated “problem” or task at the beginning of the novel has really helped my writing!

4 Likes

I agree. When I took the PPN course, this was an “a-ha!” moment for me. Also building the A plotline and not rushing over it in an effort to get to C, because that’s how we get to really learn who the character is and what’s important to them.

5 Likes
  1. The ABC structure and A plot line structure has also helped me.
  2. Another thing that helps is your discussion about how all things in the story must mean something to the protagonist. Specific examples would be nice. For example, I had a protagonist in danger of being fired and you pointed out this wasn’t a problem because the protagonist didn’t like/want the job anyway.
  3. I enjoy your discussions that illustrate character first in famous books (like Jack Reacher).
4 Likes

I like the way you do the first page(s). I’ve always found those exercises useful and sometimes even crucial. Not to mention, every book has a first page . . . :wink:

2 Likes

Pacing at the novel or across the whole story level. You’ve shown us how to do it within a scene in your previous courses. I’d like to see more on how to pace a story across the whole arc. Looking forward to your whole summit!

3 Likes

The importance of the first scenes, not so much to hook the reader but to show readers what the story is going to be about. I think that ties in with what MsBT said above about how everything we write is important in some way to the the MC and the story.

I’m having trouble being concrete and specific in my MC flaws/misbeliefs and goals. My MC has so many it’s hard to see the wood for the trees. So maybe some examples of why this is important might help.

Maybe some more examples of transitioning from my A plot to C.

4 Likes