The Revising and Editing Workshop

Sri from Boston (EST). Was in the VoVo sessions with several of the folks here and was really useful to get acquainted with the get up as well as to meet folks. Whilst in Columbus OH I was part of a reading group that helped with the editing (of my historical mystery set in 1510 South India) - now that I’m not part of a group, trying to figure out plotting & editing as I get past the 40K word mark.

1 Like

Hello I’m DeAnna (user name DevereauxParrish)
I am in a tiny northern California town near Yosemite National Park. Pacific Standard time, U.S.A.

I know how to belly dance. For which there is little to no need for on most any resume.

I hope to learn the finishing touches for polishing my writing into finished manuscript.

2 Likes

Hello I’m Viko / Kratos [I really don’t care if you use my penname or my real name]. I’m from Potsdam, Germany, so my timezone’s CEST.

I have a very good memory for trivia facts but nothing else.

I’m really interested in different editing techniques. I am writing a webnovel so I publish once a week and will have to tweak most techniques anyway, but I’m looking forward to change and adapt whatever we will learn for my needs.

2 Likes

Awesome!

I used my ipad for the first voicevoice session with Cecilia, but struggled to read the interactive writing prompts.

For my second voicevoice chat on Friday, I bought a webcam and a set of headphones so I could work from my desktop. A much better and more comfortable experience.

Looking forward to start in about 10 minutes.

Q

1 Like

My name’s Quenntis, but many people just shorten that to Q. I’m from South Africa, but live and work in Taiwan.

Location: Central Taiwan. In my timezone I’ll be attending 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, 3am, and 5am…

My most unimportant skill is the ability to misremember song lyrics and then to sing those wrong words at the wrong time. I think it’s got something to do with my creative brain working all the time.

Ive been working and reworking my novel Davinci’s Hourglass with fear of editing and revision because each time I sit down to write I feel I’m writing a different book and I’m writing as a different writer. So, revising for consistency of tone and style would really be a big help.

Q

3 Likes

I know it’s not over, yet. We still have two more talks tomorrow. But once again, well done, Daniel. I’ve participated in three of your writers’ events, and they have all been well worth my time and exceed the nominal fees in value. Thank you!

3 Likes

Thank you so much, @Jen! That is my goal.

It’s not always easy to achieve – so I’m really happy you have found it worth your while.

1 Like

Celeste, there is no such thing as a generic reader. From some seminar at 4.00 AM Sydney Australia time: “If you’re marketing to everybody, you are marketing to no one.”

When you decide what genre you would be good at writing, ask yourself: “Who reads this genre?”

when I finish my first non-fiction book ( I have some health problems so my original plan to finish by now for a Christmas launch are gone), my next book, which I have already started writing (really, what idiot works on six books at once?) is a coming of age/romance novel. My target audience is 16+ plus YA females. Guess what my market research showed? the biggest consumers of YA Romance are women 30 to 54. Do I create a back story about the girl’s mother, or will that turn them off. They read YA Romance for escapism and to remember when their partner/husband couldn’t do enough for them.
I’m only up to writing Chapter 3, so I can still go anywhere I want. However, Romance buyers have expectations of what makes a good Romance novel. As a male, do I introduce a new way of presenting Romance, or will it die a slow and miserable death? Big questions. like yours which could change the fate of the universe as we know it.

1 Like