The Magic of a Favorite Season

There is something magical about the fall as the heat of summer fades with fresh, crisp breezes, leaves blush and even the air seems to be golden.

It is in this time of year that I hold most of my traditions. Reaching out to distant friends and family with cards for a unique season’s greeting in their mailbox. Visiting the apple ranch that overlooks the Sierra foothills of Northern California for freshly pressed cider, apple pies, and pumpkins yet to be Jack o’ lanterns. Camping away from the crowds and heatwaves.

It is in this time spent luxuriating in the temperate weather that I crave a good read. One that encompasses the beauty of the season is even better as I lie in a hammock before sunset, or on a blanket at the water’s edge.

I encourage you to enjoy soaking up the majestic beauty of the season with one of these autumn-themed short stories from Bustle.com in your favorite outdoor space.

What is your favorite season?

Have you read any books that wrapped you up in the description of the seasons?

Better yet if you have written anything seasonal, would you be willing to share a little with us?

2 Likes

My favorite season has to be summer. I grew up in FL, but moved away at 17. I still miss the warm weather. For me, there’s nothing like a good, hot day.

That being said, I do enjoy early fall when the weather isn’t too cold.

I can’t really say any examples of seasonal description stick out from my reading. But that might be because of my preferred genres. However, I have an on-going fanfic project where one of the POV characters is stuck on a planet where the seasons shift several times a month as part of a planetary defense mechanism.

Here’s an excerpt from Seeker’s Prayer, Chapter 5:

The ground murmured as the first seasonal shift of the month swept through.

Tree leaves melted from green to vibrant orange, red, and yellow.

Mariposa saw it many times through her tigress avatar’s eyes, but never with her own. When she first stepped onto Phantom, snow and ice blanketed the patch she landed in. Pockets of every season dotted the world—a small piece of Phantom’s planetary defenses.

Now, as amber leaves fell around her, she watched furry squirrels and bright-breasted birds flit from tree to tree. A thin border, golden and crimson, lined the deer trail on either side. Mariposa’s boots scattered the leaves.

1 Like

Yeah! I love shares!!!

Your intro invoked some very relatable responses from me.

I was imagining this feeling of the ground murmuring a change.

I reside in Northern California not too far from San Andreas. I have always been fascinated by the trembling of the Earth.

More often than not it is so subtle that it’s as if a large truck drove past and barely discernable, but at other times there is a sensation and energy that is undeniable that the world is shifting changing forever.

I imagine this moment to be a little like that.

This description really drew me in I love the part about but never with her own (eyes), on Phantom’s planetary defenses of frequent seasonal changes.

Now I must know more!!!

I’m off to the link Seeker’s Prayer!

Excellent!

1 Like

@DeAnna, here in SC we’ve had a couple tiny shakes during the 13 years I’ve lived here, but both times I can remember, it’s a very strange sensation, like everything around you is disturbed about something. Which, I guess, in a way, that’s true.

Thanks. :grinning: Fanfic is an interesting animal. I based this section on a planet that, in canon (officially published material) changes how it looks depending on who’s looking at it. I adjusted that and turned it into less of an illusion and more of an actual meteorological event.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to read of it. :upside_down_face:

1 Like