Style Summit Day One Thread

Okay. Here we go.

Share links, ideas, feedback, invites to VR chambers of your own creation – here.

I’m welcoming everyone at 9am US east coast time, and the first session is 10am Don Stewart.

3 Likes

PS Can someone in the US tell me how to handle / explain the time change tonight? Is the first session tomorrow, Ira’s, earlier or later then it currently appears, because of the time change?

1 Like

Great welcome session, Daniel. See you later.

1 Like

It would be one hour later. Think of it this way: 9:00 a.m. today equals 10:00 a.m. tomorrow because we “spring forward” an hour tonight.

2 Likes

@Danielw 9 am is going to come an hour sooner tomorrow because we lose the hour between 2 am-3 am when we “spring forward”. If the event remains scheduled nominally at 9 am US Central (regardless of the change in time), people* need to arrive an hour earlier for it. (UTC-5, instead of UTC-6). As Kelly says, tomorrow’s 10 am is today’s 9 am. Or rather tomorrow’s 9 am is today’s 8 am.

• People being those outside of the timezones affected and those who didn’t forward their clocks. 9 am tomorrow in US Central will still be 9 am, it is just going to come an hour sooner than 9 am does the other half of the year.
2 Likes

Easy-peasy - Spring Forward and Fall Back. (Not from the US, but this happens all over the world when the clocks change. It’s just that non-North American English speakers usually call the season ‘autumn’ not ‘fall’, so a slight translation is needed!)

2 Likes

What a great day! Awesome! Thank you for being wonderful participants.

2 Likes

I was starting to second guess myself so I put it this way to see if it makes it clearer:

On Sat, March 13th, US Central was UTC - 6 so 9 am CT was 3pm UTC.
On Sun, March 14th, US Central is UTC - 5 so 9 am CT will be 2pm UTC.

3 Likes

I can’t see one - but is there a thread about the Summit (awesome, terrific, fantastic Summit) now that it’s over?

I did my first Imitation today - copied by hand and studied an excerpt from a Hilary Mantel book called Fludd - and it occurred to me that I’d like some sort of accountability on here. Is that something you might consider, if others would like that, too, Daniel? Absolutely fine, if the answer’s ‘no’, of course. I would find another way.

Have a great week. Hope you manage to get some rest! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What sort of accountability are you envisioning? You can always start a topic thread for it yourself and encourage others to join.

1 Like

Sorry about the delay, Argent, I’ve been working an idea that Jeff Elkins offered at the end of his great talk at the Summit.

So, yes, accountability. What I’ve started, on a daily basis (two days so far, lol) is copying by hand an excerpt from a book, as Daniel advised; then I’ve analysed it as far as I can, beneath the copied text. Then the date is added in the margin, and after that I take a photo of it as proof of work done.

I want to do a whole month of this with accountability - from yesterday, March 16th to April 16th - and thereby get into a daily habit. I thought we might be able to give each other support, encouragement - perhaps a ‘yay!’ or two. :slight_smile:

Thanks for getting in touch. Attached is an example from yesterday’s efforts.

2 Likes

Hi Lita — I’ve actually got an idea about that - stay tuned.

1 Like

Will do. Breath is now bated.

1 Like