Small town writers

I would like to ask for any suggestions that can help @suri

Anyone here may post their writing for respectful critique, we would love to see what you have to share.

Feel free to make posts asking for/sharing your own resources and encouragement.

There is a wealth of resources in each other. I am happy to track down what is not readily on hand, so don’t be shy, put it out there.

1 Like

Hi DeAnna,
Wouldn’t I love to have a book signing! However, the reality is that the Madeleine Brooks Mystery series is ebook only and, currently, I am in lockdown in northern New Zealand (because our little country is in the midst of our first Delta outbreak). Fingers crossed the measures taken will do the trick.

But having no social stuff other than online, lockdown is great for being head-down doing writing things (I have a list of 7 ongoing tasks that I cycle through such as writing my latest, planning the next, marketing the list, reworking another which has just had an editorial assessment etc.). Plus 2 walks a day, rain or shine! It’s lovely being on an empty beach…

I do hope you enjoy the books! They are great fun to write.

1 Like

@tannislaidlaw Don’t laugh, I have them in my kindle, but have been known to print entire books out. My husband laughs at me til he sees a receipt for $180 in printer ink. I miss the paper I can carry with me :joy:

1 Like

Love it, DeAnna! (Ahem, I have been known to do the same thing…)

1 Like

Hello Sara. I’m Matt, but you may also call me Maddie. I live in a very small rural town in Florida. Not much interaction with other writers, so I’m always glad to connect with others online. Glad to connect with you. Best of luck with your writing adventures :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Kristine,

It is lovely to see you. What rural area are you in?

@Saragflee,

Great to see you. Do you feel that “it has shriveled down to only two of us” was somehow serendipitous?

I have found that large groups have lots of great energy, however, the more petite the group the more connection is easily made.

Opportunities to zero in on what another is saying or presenting is easier or not so much?

1 Like

@DeAnna To some extent, the two of us know exactly how the other writes and is very involved it our WIPs. This is great for brainstorming and revisions, yet sometimes it is a little frustrating when there is disagreement. However, it’s a little like a marriage. We are together because we love it and support each other, but it definitely requires patience and commitment on both sides.

2 Likes

I live in northeast Tennessee, in a county with a population of approximately 10,000 people. I had 1000 in my suburban high school graduating class in central New York state. While there are perks of an idyllic country life, the reality of the economically depressed spot I landed in (not my choice, long story) is far from that. I am minutes away from the Appalachian Trail, and borders of both Virginia and North Carolina.

1 Like

This is such a great thread! It is amazing to see how writing, a generally solitary endevor has brought so many from so far, together.

Just to mention a few…

Our group is so much larger than this. It feels so good to be part of something global and yet, so personal as writing is.

Wouldn’t you agree?

4 Likes

I’m in SC, in a smaller town on the outskirts of Greenville. I’ve met a handful of other writers, but they tend to ignore networking attempts, so it’s wonderful to be able to come online and find other writers to talk with.

4 Likes

Hello Suri. Yes, I’m from a small town as well. I live in Florida. Born and raised. I’ve lived in the same small town my whole life. Canada is beautiful. I’d love to visit someday.

I live in a rural community in the Uintah Basin in NE Utah (USA) 3 hours from the nearest metropolitan city. Although we are within minutes of incorporated (have their own governmental bodies) towns/small cities, no town officially claims where we live. Although I went to a meeting before COVID hit at our county library, I haven’t been able to make any writer friends here after years of trying. Next year, I’ll be living full-time in an even smaller rural community–off a one-lane road :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: in NE Tennessee. No town officially claims our location there either, and the town that we need to use in our address requires driving through other towns to visit. Weird.

Anyway, I would also like to make writer friends and critique partners that can handle my harder science fiction. [I’m close to finishing my first draft…ever.]

1 Like

You are in the right place! We have some great members here that are super approachable and die hard sci-fi fans!
To name just a few @rtcatling @dtill359 @Luke @WellsFiction @Danielw

Welcome to the group @RiaZ

3 Likes

@RiaZ: I know the feeling of not finding anyone. I have one friend who writes on occasion, but she’s overwhelmed with work, home, and family most of the time, so we don’t really get a chance to talk, much less exchange work. :neutral_face:

I used to work at a Wal-Mart that sat at the junction of two county lines and three cities. It was always fun to explain to people our postal address. :laughing:

On the sci-fi front, I’ve been reading sci-fi since I was ten or eleven (Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Tad Williams to name a few), and I write fanfiction for a space opera anime from the 70s-80s–even won a few contests in the fanfic community (One of my winners: Heartless) I’ve got a crazy week ahead, but if you’re up for someone perusing the draft on down the road, I’d be interested.

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome and the member list of those who read sci fi. I don’t even bother saying hard before sci fi most of the time because people seize up when they hear science.

2 Likes

@Suri I also live rural. Grew up this way. A little town in Missouri, but this county is the actual community. Stems from a county high school, I believe. Nice to meet you. I have four people who share my reading love, but we can hardly ever meet just for that. This group seems lively though. I’m enjoying these posts.
@RiaZ I also love sci-fi. Not fantasy-sci so much. Have you read any David Brin?