Sci/fi or Horror openers contest (Deadline 7 October 2022)

This is a quick 50 word contest, openers only - no full stories. Here’s what the sponsor (Dictionary.com) wrote:

Haunting Hooks is back! Last year’s response to our inaugural scary story opener writing contest was overwhelming, so we’re unleashing it again for more thrills and chills.

This year, there’s a theme: Scary Sci-Fi.

The challenge: Write a captivating opening to a scary sci-fi story in 50 words or less.

To be clear: we’re looking for the opening of a story—the beginning, not a full story. It should set a scene, establish an atmosphere, and lure the reader in.

If you’re interested, this is the url: https://www.dictionary.com/e/scary-story-opener-writing-contest/

2 Likes

This sounds super fun. :tada: Thanks for sharing. :smiley: I’m going to see what I can come up with.

1 Like

I was just about to, then noticed this:

" Eligibility

The Haunting Hooks: Scary Story Writing Contest (the “Contest”) is open to: legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, who are at eighteen (18) years of age or older, and who are located in the United States or the District of Columbia, all at the time of entry."

1 Like

Oh “poo”! I hadn’t yet looked at the small print. But thank you, Luke, for bringing that to my (an potentially others’) attention.

1 Like

Good luck! Just entering these competitions provides great experience … and of course, you may win. That would be awesome.

Apparently no competition from me, as Luke just pointed out, those of us who are not US residents are ineligible to enter.

2 Likes

Got my entry submitted. :sunglasses: Interested to see how this goes.

1 Like

Don’t forget to share the outcome/the piece you submitted. I’d love to hear on this.

1 Like

Since the submission deadline’s past, here’s my entry:

Lewis Tate’s soul had outlived four bodies. The fifth wouldn’t last the month, and his sixth was proving expensive. Alarmingly expensive. “I can’t harvest a necrobeast! Last time someone stalked one of those, all they found was his empty ribcage.”

The bio-engineer leaned across the counter. “No necrobeast, no deal.”

3 Likes

I love it: imaginative, a definite hook (I do want to keep reading), and just “eeew” (the empty ribcage).
Delightful, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you (those of my first body!).

2 Likes

Well, didn’t make it into the top three, but I voted for the one I liked best among the winners. :smiley:

1 Like

Yup, I voted too. All three on offer were good – but I honestly like yours more. :wink:

1 Like