Question about evening events in a writing summit

This is a genuine question: if I scheduled events in my summit after 6pm NYC time, would that be a positive or negative for you?

Right now, the final session on each day ends at 6pm. But maybe there’s no reason for that.

I’m trying to work out if scheduling events after 6pm would reduce those speakers’ audiences, or if I’m not thinking about this clearly.

See the schedule here:

3 Likes

As someone who gets up at 5:00 a.m. on weekdays, I’m usually nodding off on the couch by 7:00 p.m. I’m more mentally alert earlier in the day. Plus, some of us are busy cooking, eating supper, and cleaning up the kitchen around that time.

2 Likes

6pm NYC time is 11pm in Ireland and the UK so personally I think that’s an ok cut off point. I get that time zones are always going to be a tricky thing to work around though. And I suppose that’s what the replays are for.

2 Likes

Agreed the UK / Ireland audience will have a problem with later (in US time) events…

1 Like

Unfortunately that’s just an issue that will always come up with time zones. It’s hard to make it work for everyone.
Personally I’d be fine with events after 6/11pm, I’ve stayed up for similar things.

Are these sessions pre-recorded or are they going to be live events with audience participation/Q&A? The way it is scheduled out now over the day/evening in one timezone, it is most definitely going to be a factor in attendance availability. For some of us, things will be too early and for others, too late. Even spreading it out across the day and evening is going to be a factor. Some people may be able to block off their morning or their afternoon/evening but not the whole day.

I kind of understand the benefit of providing an atmosphere of ‘attending a summit with scheduled sessions’ that doing a rollout throughout the day gives and some of the hidden benefits to pass sales that might create, as well. I just wonder if losing flexibility on when attendees can watch will diminish their ability to do so and limit speaker exposure which is the presenter benefit to participation.

Perhaps a hybrid model, with pre-recorded content made available all at once at the ‘start of the summit day’ and then a leaner schedule for the live events in a good time slot compromise across multiple timezones. 3 pm Eastern seems to be a rather popular global time slot for live events in my limited experience.

I hope I made some sense. Not fully awake yet.

1 Like

Some will be live and some pre-recorded. I’ll have to think through how that approach — make some sessions live through the day and the pre-recorded ones appear all at once — will work — it’s an interesting idea.

1 Like

To clarify: I’m not planning to hold talks live through the day as an attempt to get more pass sales. It’s just the model I’m used to. And maybe that should be altered…

I get up around 3AM most days. I’m usually asleep by 6 or 7PM.

1 Like

For me that would be 9:00 to hear the speaker. I would do that if I specifically wanted to hear that speaker, but earlier I might listen in just for the heck of it. On the other hand, I’m busy many times during the day and so might be listening to the recording, and, of course, I could do that for a 9:00 speaker. So in my case it doesn’t make a difference.

1 Like

West coast, here. This would make things a little easier for me. I work until 9pm and I don’t tuck in until after midnight, anyway.

1 Like

I am in W. Australia, so 12 hours ahead. Definite bonus for me if you start after 6pm. I miss being part of the live chats, and the pre-recorded sessions don’t show the chat room or links that are there. However, looking at the responses I know I am an oddity and I don’t want to be the only person in the chat room😁 Mornings are good but 3pm is the worst😴

3 Likes

I work 9-5, so it would be good for me.

1 Like