Need a advice on writing fiction

I have a question…
I imagine myself in every plot of the story during writing it…Like
if my character is facing a ghost so I would imagine myself at the
place of the character…and then think what can I do now…So that I
could write the fiction with truth…The truth means not a random
action done by character instead a action which should be done at that
situation.
Like truths in Harrypotter…Here truth does not depict practicality or reality.
Also during reading my completed story, I read it from the view of a reader.
Am I doing right?
Please answer me…thnks :slight_smile:
Sorry for a weird question…But due to my imagination is bit low, I
imagine myself at the place of the character to get to know the
thought process of my character at that situation…Also I thought not
from my mind but my character’s mind…like my character is a 5 year
old child…so I would imagine that I’m a five year old child and saw
a ghost in the kitchen…like this🙂
Waiting for the reply…
(If this is not a good method, then how can I improve my creativity and imagination)

4 Likes

This sounds very logical to me and is very similar to how I write.

3 Likes

Thank you so much…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s how I do it once I’ve ‘set the stage’, so to speak, Kirti.
I have noticed it can sometimes take me a while to work out who should be in the scene - and to place all the props , too: which basically means imagining what’s there and what they can see/hear/…

2 Likes

So as you said “Set The stage”. Does it mean that you create some conditions for plot. Then the things happen in the story as you wanted. Or you write in the flow…
Sorry, I didn’t understand. English is not my native language. Please explain me more clearly whole you wrote.:smiley:Thank you so much…waiting for the reply.

1 Like

By ‘set the stage’ I meant, pretend you’re preparing a play (where actors will move around on a stage and do the things you’ve written), so you need to add all the props to the stage: chairs for them to sit in, or a road for them to walk on, whatever is needed to let them act.
The plot is separate, but can be involved. E.g. if you put a gun on a table between the actors, that strongly suggests it will be used in the scene.
Just keep in mind that it’s all your own creation, so if you need to add or subtract something, that’s fine. And if the actors start doing something you hadn’t expected, that’s likely to be fine, too.

6 Likes

Oh Wow😃…Interesting…I got it.
Thank you so much…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I must be a rather boring person. I have a difficult time putting myself into a scene because I forget what direction I should be taking and act quiet, passive. A lot of times, I have to focus on what the character wants or a flaw, adjectives that describe the character. Then I will think, what would that person do who is not like me? I tend to pick people around me and wonder what they would do as inspiration.

5 Likes

Yeah, we think that we are boring, but actually we all are unique in ourselves. We have inside so many structures, theories, possibilities, sides, countless emotions to explore. When I started to place myself at the place of my character, it was also difficult for me. Like my character has faced a terrible tragedy in his childhood, so what would be he in his present.
It become more difficult especially when my character is male. So like you I also pick male person around me or sometimes far away from me to make them as inspiration, So that I get to know the exact thought process of man’s mind at that situation.But as you know, the real one is different from my character, sometime I ask them that if they had faced that tragedy, what would they do. It also helps me little. Rest is upto on my imagination.
You are boring person, then try to explore yourself maybe in your fictional character. like your character cheerful, then act cheerful with freedom. You are funny, quirky, not so much serious etc. Try to live your other sides in your character which you are not in your real life.
Don’t take all this as advice, it’s just a friend is telling to a friend. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Kirti Thank you, friend! :wink: even before I read your response, I was practicing this in my head while making breakfast with my husband, falling into an act. I gave him no warning, and he asked if I was okay. Ha! He sensed the shift.Thank you for shedding light into this. I think I may have fun exploring your thought process this weekend.

3 Likes

you are welcome, cool friend! :wink: You should act more to give your husband some shocks :sweat_smile:…(in a funny way).

1 Like

Having written and directed plays, thats exactly how i do it.
As you can imagine, my fiction is full of dialogue- Something i have been criticized for in the past- too much dialogue!!:rofl:

2 Likes

You are doing it your way perfectly. If it helps you get words written, then it is right!

By the way, what you describe is also how a majority of actors prepare for their roles with method-acting.
It seems fitting that method-writing should also exist.

I have it on very good authority that one of the best ways to improve one’s own writing is by taking an acting class.

You’re a natural!

1 Like

@Saragflee you are the furthest thing from boring. I have been in class with you and found all that you had to share very interesting and meaningful.

It is ok if your method is different, if it keeps you writing then it is correct.

It actually sounds like the position a director takes in film and theater productions allowing the actors to do the acting while sitting back and watching all play out, then guiding where need be to improve the scene. It’s a good place to be.

It’s all good.

1 Like

I second what DeAnna said. @Saragflee I’d ask you to critique my work anytime. You have such useful insights and comments. And I’ve read some of your work, even within the piecemeal passages approach, and I’d say you’re anything but passive in directing your characters.

I was thinking about this more from one of your other posts DeAnna, the one where you posted the interview with [fiddlesticks, I can’t remember the name at the moment]. But in the excerpt the author said that she “realized” that wanting to write and wanting to be an actress were the same things, basically wanting make-believe. I’m not convinced that’s true, exactly because of what’s arisen in this discussion string.

I do think that many authors imagine themselves in the role of the protagonist and potentially other characters too, and make their characters behave as they would. I’ve occasionally found myself doing that from time to time, but I think just as many writers view things from an external standpoint, perhaps those who are more introverted and prefer to watch others’ antics in life. In the latter case, I imagine those writers are less likely to ever want to be actors. They “watch” their characters and imagine how they might behave, based on how they’ve witnessed other people’s interactions.

I hope I’ve made sense and added something to this string. I found it difficult to convey my thoughts on the two combined forum posts/strings.

3 Likes

This is good. It takes imagination and skill to put yourself in someone else’s head and create behaviours that are ‘authentic’.

Likewise creating the distance to read it back like a reader and not as yourself.

2 Likes

You made perfect sense,. I’m tracking the conversation effortlessly and you always bring value with educated perspective to the strings. Thank you❤️

Exactly, it’s all and either. It’s what I call more than one right answer, because if it’s working then how can it (which ever method you groove to) be wrong?

Especially on something that is as magically crafted as the world of fiction in the mind of it’s author’s. It’s almost spooky if you really think about it. We invent worlds for people to live in and these worlds are there locked between covers until they are opened…

I can not go down this rabbit hole too far or I will scare myself into a Matrix scenario for writers, but you get it, we’re agreed.

It is the perfect balancing act between imagination, skill and authenticity.
Excellent!

1 Like