Mental Wellness for Creative Writer's

With the marking off of another year, holidays over, and gloomy weather of winter it can be hard not to feel depressed.

Factor in common personality traits that creative souls are sensitive and passionate about their craft and life in general.

(Isn’t that part and parcel of being able to convey realistic stories? The ability to relate, empathize?)

Pile on the logistic inability to simply pour one self into long-term, uninterrupted creation time.

Life’s challenges regularly getting in the way can lead to some serious depression.

I find myself muttering this line so often it’s become comical.

“Wendy, when I’m in here, it means that I’m WORKING, THAT means DON’T COME IN!” Jack, The Shinning

Sometimes I want to scream at the top of my lungs.

“LIFE, I AM WORKING, DON’T COME IN!!!”

I know other’s out there do feel the same.
(Can I get a witness? Hallelujah! Amen!!!)

What is it about being engulfed in writing that makes folks think you’re available for a tsunami of idle chit chat?

Perhaps it’s the sitting quietly still that throws folks off?

Aren’t you available to babysit? Run errands? Wait for service person at someone else’s house, for an undetermined amount of time?

What is it in our sensitive souls that wants to lend a hand at the potential cost of letting ourselves down… Compassion? Procrastination? Sense of duty/futility? Self sabotage?

Maybe more importantly is how do we counter act the guilt? Sadness? Sense of hopeless and failure that can be attached to the situation?

Check out this article by Hannah Clarke at Writer’s Edit.

Please do share with the group any tips you may have for staying in a highly productive mental wellness mode for getting writing done.

3 Likes

Well, I can’t comment on dealing with depression, but I can say I’ve had to face the fact that I can’t do everything with the speed I wish I could.

If it were up to me, the novel I’m in the middle of would be done by 6PM today. My e-mail list would be 10M strong, and I would have taken every class I’m registered for, watched my backlog of conference videos, read every article and book in my TBR stack. But that’s not realistic.

There’s something I heard a few months ago that always helps me when I start to feel like I’m not getting anything done: “It’s the labor that matters.”

Too often, our measure of success is results-based. Maybe, sometimes we should give ourselves a break and concentrate on everything we’ve done to get to where we already are. It hit me a few days ago that I’ve been (officially) on this journey for nine years. Nine years. That’s longer than I’ve been married. That doesn’t even count the ten years of reading, contemplation, and writing experimentation I did before that, so, altogether, that’s almost two decades!

It took nearly 20 years to get where I am now. That’s no mean feat, and I can’t forget that.

2 Likes

Yes! I know i certainly needed to hear this today. Bravo!!!

1 Like

Same, I definitely needed to hear this today.

2 Likes