“A writing journal can be an essential part of a fiction writer’s toolkit.”

In the AutoCrit article, “How to Keep a Writing Journal You Won’t Neglect”

Keeping a journal can help you:

• Store ideas
  • Generate inspiration
  • Record your thoughts and feelings
  • Play with different forms, tones, and styles in your writing
  • Forge a sense of identity: ‘I am a writer. See, I have a journal!’

Don’t underestimate the power of that last point. If you see yourself as an amateur writer, telling yourself that what you write doesn’t really matter and by default isn’t good, then the writing you produce might not speak to your potential. But if you see yourself as an author, then gifting yourself a tool like a journal reminds you daily that your ideas are worth looking after.”

See the complete article here:

Would you keep a writer’s journal?

What would it look like if you did?

1 Like

If keeping a writer’s journal adds credence to the claim that I am in fact a writer, then YES, I AM!

I have stacks and stacks of stories, completely outlined ideas, critical plot points, character backstories, and mountains of dialogue in journals, binders, scraps of papers, even on napkins dating back over decades! (even some published articles)

When inspiration struck, I wrote!

With this conundrum of imposter syndrome solved,
I HAVE clout, SEE, I have a JOURNAL (or FORTY-SEVEN of them) I AM A WRITER!

I can now move on to completing projects.

With this revelation, I feel like someone who spent their entire life wanting to become an artist, but only now realizing their spare room holds a treasure trove. Decades worth of sketches, and canvases they have painted, some that had gallery showings, all while wishing they were an artist

I can’t be alone in this, who else is suffering?

1 Like