Handwriting? Longhand?

Sorry for all the typos and even the wrong word (it should have been pane) I was writing near supper time and must have been really hungry! Also my tablet keyboard has a mind of its own sometimes :grin:

5 Likes

In an altered form, it very well could be a ā€œpainā€ of glass.

1 Like

Speech recognition software is what I use to get my ideas, and books, on the page as well as any computer use generally. In this way, I donā€™t let my physical disabilities get in the way of my creation.

2 Likes

Got done transcribing one of my handwritten outlines a little bit ago and realizedā€¦ this chapter introduces my characters into what might be considered ā€œExtreme Hide and Seek.ā€ Theyā€™re onboard a locked-down ship, and thereā€™s a murderer hiding somewhere onboard. O_O

1 Like

Hand written in longhand? Give me a break. My penmanship is so bad that even I canā€™t read it. Back in the dark ages when I got my start as a writer, I carried the obligatory pocket notebooks but my note taking was a slow, laborious process because I had to print everything if I wanted to read my notes. When small cassette recorders became available, it was a day to celebrate. Today I carry a digital voice recorder. Today I often dictate my text into my Notebook or Laptop using voice to text programs. Anyway, I have written nothing in longhand since graduating from high school and then college back in the 1960s.

I do both. Mostly I type straight into the wordprocessor, but if I need to ā€œthink aloudā€ I prefer to do that by writing it down on paper. I also prefer paper when Iā€™m doing an especially difficult scene, partly because it feels more organic somehow but more I think because there are fewer distractions. I also find it helpful at those times to be lying on my sofa, so I write on A6 sheets (A5 folded into little 4-page booklets) I bulldog clip to an A6 piece of cardboard. That way it feels very disposable and throw-away while still being permanent. When I get around to typing them up I cross out the sections or pages so I know Iā€™ve captured as much of it as I want.
I write fast, but print for clarity, and writing small helps a lot since the pencil doesnā€™t move far. I even found 0.3mm propelling pencils and 0.3mm 2B pencil leads so the letters are crisp and I donā€™t need to worry about stopping to sharpen a pencil.
The above image is one such A6 page. Iā€™m a bit short-sighted so I have no trouble reading it - usually!
I guess I write 80% on computer, about 20% on paper, and occasionally dictate short emails or notes to myself if I donā€™t have either of those handy.

2 Likes

Mostly typing although I will turn to handwriting if I need a change of pace. Also, certain types of revising I will do on printouts of the work rather than on a computer as it helps me see the text differently. What is 100% handwritten are my notes. Writing things down has always been my most successful way of learning things, so now I keep a ā€˜bibleā€™ of everything story related: character histories, development, floor plans, maps, research notes, outlines, histories, music etc. in a specific journal-like notebook. Itā€™s organized with an index that grows as the notes do and is beginning to tell its own story about how my current project is coming to be.

1 Like

Handwriting? Ohā€¦ noooooooo. While my writing would look fine for a few paragraphs, it would quickly change to something unreadable. Plus, my hand would ache.
Writing in Word, with it set up as an actual 6x9 book works for me.

I used to only write longhand- with a sharp pencil and soft eraser. But my hand had trouble keeping up with my brain! The main reasonā€¦ I write on the go- in the doctors waiting room, on the plane or train, on the beach (my favorite place!) on lunch break. Now I have small laptop so it travels with me.
And I no longer worry about that soft eraser wearing away!

1 Like

As a recently retired ā€˜multi media marketing creativeā€™, typing still feels too much like I am at work, so I have been using longhand for my newest novel attempt adventure.

So far so good, although I do worry about when the time comes to type it all up!

1 Like

For fiction, I prefer typing. I never get far handwriting fiction. When Iā€™m writing poetry, however, I prefer handwriting the first draft.

2 Likes

I hand write 1st drafts. 2nd draft usually starts with transcribing my 1st draft into my computer, changing and inserting as I go. After that I 3rd draft it and show parts to my critique group. Their advice, if I choose to accept it, is included in the 3rd.

I have done blog posts and short stories exclusively with a keyboard (though many of my short stories start as handwritten).

1 Like

I almost always type when writing fiction. I find good ideas tend to come to me as my fingers dance over the keyboard. I find handwriting too slow, and too hard to revise. However, Iā€™ve read that handwriting improves creativity because youā€™re actually creating the letters as you type.

1 Like