Final Summit Thread

Did you watch Michael Noltemeyer’s session? People had a REALLY strong reaction to that one.

2 Likes

I just caught this for the first time on the replay. I am so happy it followed my view of Daniel’s talk on imitation (reflecting upon statements of actually wanting to become better writers and the real, often difficult work put in to get better) because it gave me a perspective I might not have seen so willingly prior. The beauty of these summit classes is that everything being taught compliments all of the other courses. That said, I LOVED THIS TALK! I value charitable reading. I prefer this approach of seeing the value, potential, and opportunity before removing a single thing. In Michael’s example, I see how this approach is not pulling the writing apart, but rather a deeper reflection of what the author wishes to say, and being able to reach the reader’s mind and heart via the verbal imagery created by the writer. A word-by-word choice, purposefully driven piece of writing is able to appear effortless when hitting its mark in the mind’s eye of the reader. I will never look at my word choices and phrasing the same again. Daniel, thank you for taking one for the team and offering your writing on what I first feared was a chopping block but soon realized was more like a flower bed being prepared. You had plenty of fertile ground with proper plantings, was just a bit nurtured along. I really appreciated getting to view this moment-by-moment internal thought process about written work. Hearing all the reasons behind the thoughts and references that went on in Michael’s critiquing opened my mind to a very nuts and bolts approach of writing style.

2 Likes

I watched all except the bonus sessions (getting to those tomorrow). This one was wonderful to watch, and relevant to me as I am plodding through trying to edit right now. This gave me a new way to evaluate my rough draft. I found the whole summit to be extremely helpful and inspiring.

2 Likes

Thank you, Pink! I’m so happy to hear that.

I finally got a chance to sit down and watch this session and I found it extremely valuable and enlightening. As a word nerd and language addict, I could listen to Michael dissect and explain passages of text all day long. It’s fascinating and insightful.

1 Like

It was a really special session – to record, to watch everyone react, and to watch it on replay.

2 Likes