Feedback on Kris Kennedy's talk

What did you learn about turning points?

2 Likes

So much! There’s a ton of info to absorb. I’ll be rewatching this one over and over again. Even though I watched her speak on this subject at Brian Berni’s summit, I gained even more from her during this session.

4 Likes

Packed with useful information. Kris explained the turning points so well!

2 Likes

I love the analogy of the pool ball, using trajectory and velocity for plot and pacing. I’m a visual learner, so this brings it into sharper focus for me and helps me grasp the concept more concretely.

4 Likes

That’s where I saw her! Thank you for solving that nagging mystery in my head :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes the pool analogy was good. And even though she talked about many things, I didnt get overwhelmed or bored.

2 Likes

I am catching up using my replays through the plot pass, and I realize how invaluable this purchase was, even just for this session alone.

There were so many parallels to the Story Grid by Sean Coyne. Coyne was my first introduction to plot structure, so I conpare everything to the Story Grid. However, Kennedy clarifies ideas with more examples to deepen understanding. Like @kellygunteratlas, I will be revisiting this often.

Some of my favorite ideas I took away are:

1. Turning points calibrate hope for the main character, but also the READER.

2. If something good happens, there should be a bad consequence as a result.

3. The midpoint should be a public act to make the consequences irreversible.

There are so many more! I’d love to post some more later.

3 Likes

I also meant to add that she continued to use the word mirrored, as though scenes should reflect other scenes. I believe that idea is similar to a thread on here as we discussed KM Weiland’s idea that plot should be a full circle.

3 Likes

Link to the topic on Discourse: Story Structure on a Deeper Level

2 Likes