Feedback and thoughts about Beth Barany's Plotting for Pantsers (part one)

Share your ideas, inspirations, ideas, questions here!

2 Likes

I found the question about what your main character carries in their back pocket to be a really interesting one, and one I’d not thought about before.
But I’m confident she’d carry almost nothing. She’s had such a strange upbringing that often the idea of taking money with her in any form was something outside her experience. And apart from that, and a communication device (sometimes), she’s so self-confident (over confident) and so ready to just dive into situations that she’d take nothing.

4 Likes

It tells you so much without having to tell. Even carrying very little tells the reader something about the character, hey?

1 Like

I liked to see the way ideas bounce around between Daniel and Beth. Particularly when it got to ideas of theme and issue. This can be a hard one to nut out.

1 Like

Exactly, @Suo2328! No makeup, no purse, handbag, and certainly no weapon, since she’s so deadly as-is.

2 Likes

Isn’t it pretty late for you @Luke?

1 Like

I also see how much of the Unconscious is involved in this process, and how Beth’s process builds on that.
I also do a lot of my thinking just be writing them down and see what ideas spring from that and what occurs as I write - and all without any worry I’ll forget a great idea I had a minute ago, lol!

1 Like

Er, I’m trying to stay up till the happy hour (8am for me) - but just realised I was going to snatch a couple of hours sleep since I’m not into memoirs. It’s only 2am here, so not too late yet. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have been trying to do the same but sometimes I can get tunnel visioned brainstorming on a page. I coopt my poor sister sometimes. It helps to jog me out of my track.

2 Likes

:joy::yawning_face::sleeping: I wont make happy hour much too early for me. I will be barely conscious at 7am when I hope to catch the rest of Beth and Daniel

1 Like

I’m just going to set my alarm for 3:55am, for April’s Structure informing plot.

1 Like

That’s dedication. I wanted to see some of those talks live but don’t think my brain will be clear enough at that time of day. Hope you catch some good zzzs

3 Likes

I liked having a window into this process from the outside. I can sometimes be judgmental with my creative process and curtail potentially fruitful avenues too soon if they seem not to fit in or make sense right away. I’m looking forward to the rest of the sessions.

3 Likes

That’s an excellent point I think, Amy. Fresh ideas are like babies: they’re fragile and vulnerable and need time to grow and develop, to reach their full potential.

4 Likes

So glad you found this point interesting! I like how carrying nothing ays something about your character. Makes me wonder how she may use whatever is in her environment as she needs to.

3 Likes

Thanks, Suo2328. It was a lot of fun.

Luke, exactly, we’re bubbling it up from the unconscious.

3 Likes

Awesome!

There’s a time and a place for judgement – and that’s during the editing process. When you generate your story ideas and framework, that’s a good time to be open to whatever shows up. You ma surprise yourself with what you discover.

3 Likes

I throughly enjoyed this and would love to catch the second session but I am knackered from trying to attend as many sessions as possible and working my paid (non writing) job in between. Will try to catch the replay as I find the beginning very helpful in thinking about character development.

3 Likes

It’s okay to pace yourself!

We have three more days… and some surprise bonuses…

2 Likes