End of chapter or new chapter?

I have finally come to the end of The Yakuza Ring (or almost :laughing:). My last (hopefully) question about it is this. I want to add a scene or scenes where the hero proposes which happens six months after the last scene. Can you leave a space like you would a break in the story and have a sub title ā€œSix months laterā€ or should I start a new chapter? My only worry is that the new chapter wonā€™t be long enough. Iā€™m setting it at Christmas in Los Angeles, but of course everything was cancelled last year so research about the where when and what of events is very scanty.
Any advice/suggestions welcome TIA

3 Likes

Personally, Iā€™ve seen this done well as a short Epilogue. Iā€™ve also seen it tagged onto the last chapter. Both worked fine. Iā€™d say ask a couple people to read it one way or the other and see how they feel about it.

4 Likes

Thanks Deborah,
I had also though of an epilogue. I will do that. I have someone waiting to read it already and Iā€™ve tagged it onto the end of the chapter. So Iā€™ll ask her how she liked where the ending came or if I should make it a separate piece.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll join dtill359 and suggest using an epilogue.

3 Likes

Thanks Jen,
Iā€™ve decided not to go the long way as I said to Deborah above. It will be an epilogue. Full stop, end of story :laughing:

3 Likes

Just one more comment: a chapter can be any length. From one sentence to 5,000+ words. Full stop. End of story!

5 Likes

Thanks Tannis :laughing:
The epilogue is 1,150 words, just shy of 3 pages and flew from my fingers.

3 Likes

Yay!!! Go getā€™um, girl!!!

1 Like

Thanks Tannis :grinning:
Just finished a final check before saving a PDF. Now I feel a little low (not as bad as after finishing Chapter 14). Iā€™m calling it ā€œrelaxed satisfactionā€ Because I am satisfied at the job I did and a little proud of myself :blush:
Part of the down feeling is because I write with music for inspiration and I lost the two CDs I use for my Samurai series (through my own stupidity I will admit). Maybe when I quit kicking myself I can find something just as inspiring :laughing:

2 Likes