Daniel Sighting!

Looks like @Danielw has been on an interview spree lately. Sacha Black’s interviewing of him on How to Run an Author Event has appeared today (July 7th) on her YouTube channel.

7 Likes

Thank you!

I’m actually interviewing Sacha today, for my next summit — how to start and run a podcast.

What questions should I ask?

3 Likes

Hmm, I wish I was more into wanting to start a podcast to be able to help you with this. I’m more likely to start a YouTube channel than a podcast.

Some questions that come to mind involve equipment. What is the minimal set-up regarding audio input (microphones, etc) and software for someone wanting to just jump in (as you advise in your interview on author events) and then a follow-up of what is the more recommended options that would involve some financial investment? What other software might be useful or crucial besides audio capture, editing and creating a transcript?

What are hosting options for your podcast besides your own website? Is it expensive to be on Spotify or others?

Suggestion: I might retitle it so that it is specifically “author podcast” unless you are trying to be more general. I think I’d have different questions if I wanted to start a podcast like The Friendship Onion (Billy Boyd/Dominic Monaghan of LOTR fame) or something for authors specifically.

Is it important to niche down with your topics and branding or is there still room for broader focus?

On The Friendship Onion they have a few particular…I’m blanking on the word…they’re sections in the podcast they do each session like “Billy and Dom eat the World” where a listener suggests a food from somewhere in the world and they try it and rate on a few different factors. They have a handful of different things like that including a regular trivia contest between a couple of listeners on LOTR trivia. Morning shows on radio stations seem to have similar types of regular features like that. Sasha has her tiny version of this with the question she always asks at the end about a moment when the interviewee was particularly rebellious. I think this might fall into some questions on just scheduling content in general. Do you just take what comes (assuming your podcast is mostly interviewing others) or do you create a series of podcasts based around certain topics even if the listeners aren’t necessarily told that’s what is happening? Maybe you can think of some other questions about how to laying out the content schedule.

Umm, I’d be curious about how to transition from having to actively solicit and entice guest speakers to receiving plenty of quality pitches to fill my schedule instead. I think this is a good place to reiterate the point you and Sasha covered in the event interview about framing a pitch so that it isn’t about you as the guest but how it benefits the audience. You could expand on that in this interview in some way and perhaps offer advice about how to approach potential guests; what to say and what not to say.

If you have time, perhaps go back through the interview she posted today and mirror some of those questions. I thought they were REALLY good questions and answers. Very nuts and bolts instead of a lot of fluff.

Hopefully there is something that sparks some questions you haven’t thought of in my rambling above. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Recorded! You are going to really enjoy this interview.

2 Likes

Perhaps, how to know if your subject matter is viable enough for an ongoing podcast, if not how did you make it so? or not all podcasts are ongoing so how to frame a short series podcast experience? Does one work from a set format of scripts? What are they, where do they come from, formula? “To do list for your First five episodes in a nutshell” kind of thing? What is the difference between podcasts and other writing ventures? Why create a podcast as opposed to other venues?
The one most important thing you wish you new before starting your pod cast? Where/when/how do you launch your podcast?

Any of these questions ideas, I have often wondered about as it pertains to podcasts.

1 Like

Another Daniel sighting (This is even more business-y and almost zero about writing):

I’m sharing just because I’m on the docket with Pat Flynn. Feels wild to see it.

5 Likes

Sorry it’s gauche to share things like this but OMG – here is Rob Gelb, CEO of HeySummit, talking about the plot summit on Pat Flynn’s podcast:

3 Likes

That’s very cool! Your reputation for quality content and civil discourse continues to grow. I think it’s great.

2 Likes

That’s a good comprehensive set of questions. :+1:

1 Like

You are too modest Daniel.

You have broken down the reasons behind the struggles of writers and would-be-writers to help bring more of their gifts, their talents in the craft of fiction, out into the world.

I believe one writer referred to you as her book’s midwife, assisting in the delivery of her (now published) viable manuscript. I concur, it is an apt description.

You help writers breathe life into the jumbled, primordial ooze of story ideas into solid mass completed works of character-driven, well-written fiction.

You have a gift to reach those stories within their authors, that might otherwise fade into oblivion and help tease them out into the light.

That coupled with your personal style of respectful interaction with people, understanding the perfect balance of being there for, and encouraging, empowering writers, while not being intrusive in any way.

It is a very tall order to fill. You make it look effortless.

You also offer so much for FREE or at amazing accessible prices, with zero pressure!!!

This is MIND-BLOWING in a world of clickbait and hard sell infomercials of promises that do not deliver for the mere price of a small king’s ransom.

You, Sir, deliver and beyond on every count of what you propose in your course outlines and summits alike. (To the appreciation of all our good fortune to be a part of the programs that you offer to the writing community.)

These actions of yours demonstrate your passion and selfless commitment to the craft of writing.

This does not go unnoticed by those lives that you touch with your generosity of sharing your knowledge and methods of instruction. For those searching for answers to our personal writing demons, you have on point effective, REAL answers.

For those that feel I am gushing, YES I AM!!! My writing changed the day I stumbled across The Character First (approach to writing your novel). Like a magical incantation, all of my loose ideas came together with a structure that had evaded me for decades.

I am not alone in this assessment of the benefits of attending your courses.

Every other group member I have had the pleasure of chatting with shares similar tales of transformation to their writing, and the deepest of gratitude for having found you as well.

It is the consensus that you Daniel, have developed and achieved nothing less than something miraculous, and yes, you can quote me on that.

With the deepest of appreciation and warmest regards THANK YOU!!!
From all of us to you.

2 Likes

You are too kind, DeAnna! Too kind.

1 Like