What’s a fun book we should read?

I recently read Romanov by Nadine Brandes. It’s a YA novel that adds a magical twist to the Romanov story. It does a lovely job of blending non-fiction and fantasy. A fun, quick read!

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying this thread!

3 Likes

I have been thinking about this post for awhile. There are so many fun reads. O couldn’t pick just one.

1. THE COINCIDENCE OF COCONUT CAKE by Amy E. Reichert. I bought this purely because of the cover. Predictable, but fun for foodies. It also urges the desire to visit Milwaukee.
    51jce3J8XBL.AC_SY400

2. A KISS FROM MR FITZGERALD by Natasha Lester- A roaring twenties historical fiction about a young woman who wants to obtain a medical degree. It is sometimes listed under historical fiction romance, but it isn’t laden with sexual details. I think it is more that romantic relationships are integral to the story’s plot. This one makes a statement and goes deeper than my other 2 recommends.

3. THE LIVES OF TAO by Wesley Chu - I listened to this entire series on Audible within a week. The narrator was amazing.

5 Likes

Sooo . . . keep your copy of “A Kiss From …” on top the “Cake” story in the erudite crowds, and leave Cake in the guest room so you can get a giggle from the in-laws, eh? I’ll have to look for these. Thx!

2 Likes

I just finished listening to the audio version of this. I think it’s a great example of character based writing! Loved it! :cat2:

4 Likes

The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer. I like both the film and the book. It’s a fun and sweet read.

10 Likes

@MattDWells22. That is a great read. I love the use of letters as the narrative device.

3 Likes

Cold Comfort Farm was one of my wife’s most enjoyed books (admittedly, there may have been up to a thousand in that list, she read a book every two days, or even faster).
When we saw the film, she really enjoyed that too, and said it was pretty faithful to the novel.

3 Likes

I think the Winnie the Pooh books are a delight, for any age of reader.
I’d forgotten how sad the ending was, though.
Still on my list of books to read is The Tao of Pooh, which is tongue in cheek serious philosophy I gather. Maybe like The Good Place TV series in that respect?

4 Likes

If you like young adult fantasy, Annette Marie has three great series so far.

1 Like

That sounds like something I’d really like! I’m looking for peaceful stories these days.

1 Like

Science fiction is not one of my favorite genres. But one of my favorite books is “Stranger in a Strange Land” by Robert Heinlein. I can’t understand why in the world this book has never been made into a movie. But on the other hand, they would probably just muck it up. Hmm. I wonder who they would get to play Valentine Michael Smith? Or even better, Jubal Harshaw? Who would you pick for those two characters?

4 Likes

Sherri Tepper The Gate To Woman’s Country

3 Likes

Thank you @Gretchin for reminding me of this book. I read it many many years ago. I definitely want to give it a reread from a perspective more experienced at life now.

The humor translates at least as far as Sweden because I love the books by Taylor. Fast paced and hilarious!

3 Likes

There is apparently a movie in development but you need to subscribe to IMDBPro to get the details unfortunately so that’s all I know.

Absolutely! But the funniest is probably the first, Naked. And in that, the essay about his grandmother. Funny but tragic, too.

1 Like

@LivStrom, you might be interested in listening to the audio books too. They are equally fun, funny and (in my opinion) read with precisely the right voice and intonations.

1 Like

I always have a comfort read that I come back to when I need some brain space. The last few years it’s been Ami McKay’s The Witches of New York. She writes in such a submersive way and I’ve read it enough times now that the characters feel like friends. The follow-up holiday novella, Half Spent Was the Night, is also delightful.

3 Likes

The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet are delights, and I’d like to think Milne would find Hoff in good company.

My favorite aspect is that they’re good for all ages; something for everyone to gain.

5 Likes