Welcome to the community!

I think I’ve read all her books, mostly on my Kindle but some from the library. I reread the Wexford books but not so much the other ones, probably because I already know the bad outcome. Some times I look at them to get a sense of how she builds the “darkness,” but so far I haven’t been able to do that. I think the Wexford books are good for learning how to write mystery/suspense.

I haven’t read any of her other work. I found the book in the Bas Bleu catalog and asked for it for my birthday. I like the slow build of mystery and suspense so far. What other things do you like to read?

I think you can get almost all her books from the library online, or at least I’ve been able to do that recently from my Las Vegas library and Amazon (did all online borrowing during the shut down). I started buying most of my Ruth Rendell books when I first got my Kindle, about 12 years ago, when the library didn’t have online borrowing. If you have a Kindle, I think you can “borrow” some of my books. I think we have to check to see if the publisher allows it (it would show in my book list), and if so I think I can lend them to you. I have The Crocodile Bird, Dark Corners, Going Wrong, Harm Done, The Killing Doll, Make Death Love Me, The Monster in the Box, A Sleeping Life, The St. Zita Society, Talking to Strange Men, An Unkindness of Ravens, The Vault, and Wolf to Slaughter. Let me know if you are interested in any of them and I will check if they can be borrowed from me.

I’m pretty much stuck on mystery, suspense, and thriller books. Others British authors I like are Martha Grimes (especially all the Richard Jury books), Francis Fyfield, Josephine Tey, and P. D. James (but she can sometimes be a little to cerebral for me). Others I like are Michael Connelly, John Sanford, Robert Parker, Lawrence Block, and Jonathan Kellerman (someone else mentioned him). This last year I started reading Jane Casey and like her a lot, and also Karin Slaughter.

Karen Slaughter and John Sanford both have chapters with different POVs. Sanford usually has about six chapters total from the bad guys POV. Slaughter has three main characters where she switches POV. I’m looking at doing something like that with a book I’m writing now, but I want it in the first person so that isn’t working out so well.

Who do you like to read?

1. Hello there! I am writing middle grade fiction so I read a lot of books/authors in that genre such as Katherine Applegate, Linda Sue Park, and Jacqueline Woodson. I’m a fan of Philip Pullman and His Dark Materials series. I enjoy fantasy and science fiction, non-fiction, mysteries, and just about any good story. A few recent favorites are *Where’d You Go, Bernadette, * The Thing About Jellyfish, Beautiful Ruins, and Shrill, read aloud by Lindy West.
  2. My food truck would sell all the best tasting soups with nice crusty bread.
  3. My best hours for writing are between 10:00 and 2:00 when I am most awake or anytime before that first sip of wine.
7 Likes

Hello everyone

• I love reading scary stories. Anything paranormal gets my imagination running wild. James Herbert is my favourite author at the moment because he writes excellent horror, ghost stories.

• If I owned a food truck, I would sell vegan food. I’ve turned vegan a year ago and never looked back. Being an animal lover made it so much easier for me to give up meat and dairy and eggs etc.

• The best hour for writing is late at night and very early in the morning because in the early hours of the morning my brain is fresh and my ideas flow to me with ease. And late at night when my husband and kids are all sound asleep and in dreamland the house is quiet and I have the rest of the house to myself without any interruptions

3 Likes

Susan, I love that you are writing middle grade! I teach 6th grade History, and so many of my kids are looking for new books to read . It is such an impressionable age group.

3 Likes

That first sip of wine does tend to wrap up the productive part of the day…

1 Like

I am an early morning writer, too. The best time…

1 Like

There are so many great books for that age group!

2 Likes
  • I like to read the books that have a multiple cast of characters with good structure to them as a character, I think it drives the plot itself, not vice versa. I gravitate towards the books near to what I write in regard to the story, but in regard to the writing itself, then I go more the books I want to improve myself with it as I read like a book that is written from multiple POVs or a book that is written from the Villain’s POV or even the second person POV. I don’t put myself in one box of one specific genre yet I never seem to get anywhere near horror or sci-fi.

• If I owned a food truck, I’d totally sell this traditional Egyptian dish called ‘‘Koshari’’ it has many ingredients and its base is rice, macaroni, tomato sauce with vinegar, crispy thin fried onion rings as a dressing, and almost forgot brown lentils. It’s got more depth to that and spices amongst all of this of course but it’s so popular and many people don’t know it has two different versions of it and they’re completely different just because the difference is based on the capital city and the other is the coastal city of Alexandria. But all in all, it’s a great idea that’s been done before but it’s totally a ‘win’

• The best hour for writing -for me at least-is nighttime. I don’t know how to write in the mornings at all, it’s all too noisy around where I live and the world doesn’t get quieter until after sunset all the way to dawn, it’s the perfect time to focus and escape to whatever story I’ve got in mind.

3 Likes

I’m also a fan of books with ensemble casts. I’ve been grabbing every article I find on how to write them well myself. My novels will definitely have them!

3 Likes

Huh, I somehow missed this one before :sweat_smile: well better late than never.

•I read mostly fantasy and sci-fi, some of my favourites being The Summoner series by Taran Matharu and the I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies) series by Pittacus Lore. I’ll read just about anything my friends put in front of me though.

•If I had a food truck, it would sell warm drinks like tea and hot chocolate and baked goods. Especially cookies. Can’t forget those.

•The best hour to write is when the urge arises because that hour will turn into several. I have yet to find what actual time of day works best for me.

4 Likes

What do I like to read? I like to read humor. I am in the middle of reading Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner’s “2000 Year Old Man” and “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy”.
What kind of food would I sell from a food truck? Here in Minnesota, it would have to be something warm. I was thinking southern food.
Best hour of writing? That depends what you mean by “best”. If you mean the most enjoyable, early morning. Because nobody is around and I can control the environment. If you mean most productive, it’s probably in the mid afternoon, Don’t know why. Just the way it is.

4 Likes

@Chelsea- I love that you pinpointed different genres for your moods. I can relate, reading anything from Grim Dark to a holiday Amish Romance at Christmas.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Allie Hilleson, writer as well as musican, teacher, and farm wife.

What do you like to read?
I go through phases with what I like to read. I love historical fiction and classics (Jane Austen, Charles Dickens etc). I’ve recently been reading a lot of fantasy. And my current “reading kick” is anything by J.R.R. Tolkien or C.S. Lewis.

If you owned a food truck, what kind of food would it sell?
My favorite foods but gluten free so I can eat them again. Pizza, Calzones, pasta, mozzarella stick… basically anything with breading.

The best hour for writing is ___, because __.
I really like writing at 5 am because it’s quiet and my creativity flows well, but unfortunately I am unable to get up then at this time.

6 Likes

Hello everyone,
Now to your questions:

1. I love to read all about contemporary architecture, environment-friendly new designs, and art. -Just kidding-. Now, seriously, I like to read contemporary philosophy, and non-fiction books. I love the trilogy written by Yuval N. Harari, and I love the courage written by Noam Chomsky when challenging the “status quo”
  2. If I owned a food truck, I would sell chocolate fantasy stories, topped with a bit of truth, sprinkled with social justice, accompanied with tons of freedom philosophy for the truth seekers.
  3. My best hour to write is the last half-hour before my deadline.
6 Likes

At the end of the day it always comes to NYC. It takes my breath away.

3 Likes

Happy day everyone,
My name is Angela and I am writing Urban Fantasy and Dark Fantasy.

I read most anything, at lengths and in tangents. Currently I am re-reading Lindsay Buroker’s Steampunk the Emperor’s Edge series, Ilona Andrew’s The Edge series, and Patricia Briggs’ Mercy Thompson series. I pick my favourite book in my current mood then work my way through the rest of the series. That is in ebook and audible formats. In physical form I read nonfiction, anthropology topics, and folktales.

If I owned a food truck it would be the Cultural Vegetarian. The food would change week to week based on what part of the world I was traveling in through books and movies. That is how my own kitchen works.

My best time for writing is early morning when there are equal amounts of blood and caffeine in my veins because I am the most creative.

6 Likes
  1. I read urban fantasy, high fantasy, and romance, especially if they contain mythology. Some of my favorites include Kevin Hearne, Patricia Briggs, Jennifer Estep, and the like.

2. I would sell popcorn out of a food truck. It’s my favorite food and works well with many flavor combos. My favorite combo right now is sea salt and cayenne.

3. The best hour of writing is eleven at night because the house is quiet and not many cars are passing by my street-facing office (Which causes my 110 lbs dog to bark. Every. Time.). I am trying to shift my sleep schedule to wake up before 1 in the afternoon so that I might have more time to write on the days I don’t go into work, but man, mornings are hard.

Thanks for reading!

6 Likes
  • I read Horror, Mystery, Fantasy, Science Fiction, even some thrillers. I watch roughly the same. I’m a fan of Altered Carbon, Lucifer, the Haunting of Hill House. My most recent book read was Quantum (Patricia Cornwell) which was … very slow? I may read Harry Potter next. I especially like earlier Jack McDevitt because we need more far future mysteries in space (his recent books are … very slow?)
  • If I owned a food truck it would sell cookies, because I am far too lazy to make real food. I would probably eat half of them before cooking them, because cookie dough > cookies.
  • The best hour for writing is 7pm, because it’s after work and I’m not a morning person.
5 Likes