Welcome to the community!

I’m Anna. I’m writing a moderately cozy mysery with some implied social commentary. I like to read mysteries that are entertaining but not too silly, and because I’m trying to get my own first memoir published, I have been reading a lot of memoirs, especially some by black Americans. (I’m white but my memoir is about coming to a black college.) I was an English professor, so I’ve read many classic novels from the US and England as well as from some other countries.

• If you owned a food truck, what kind of food would it sell? Maybe real Wisconsin brat house style grilled bratwurst sandwiches, even though I’ve been living in Georgia since 19678.

• The best hour for writing is morning, because I can be more responsible about doing it almost every day. I used to write in the evening and proofread in the morning, but I don’t stay up late much anymore.

1 Like

Hi, folks!

–I like to read many things, but SF/Fantasy is way up there–I love Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials series (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass), for example

–I did one day of work in the food industry, by far the hardest day’s work I’ve had, so no food truck for me :slightly_smiling_face: mile:

–When I write best is when the story captures me (like, I assume, everyone else). I want to bring things to completion and in flow state. But I know that only amateurs wait for inspiration, so trying out some weekly goals.

How I can improve this community: I am really interested in how to write humanity’s diversity without being racist, offensive, ignorant, etc. So I am always looking for resources on this and have some suggestions of my own to share. Also, I have some life experiences that may shape my views in unexpected ways: living for 2 years in Niger, an Islamic country in West Africa, being a DV prosecutor in a major urban area, being a university prof for 20 years, and being married 24 years (and being queer).

Thanks, J.A.

2 Likes

I, too, am interested in how to write humanity’s diversity without being racist, offensive, ignorant, etc. Having lived with African-Americans and even being married to a black man and feeling a parrt of his wider family, I still have to avoid stereotypes and think about how my words may be received. A gay white man I know who is originally from Louisiana recently texted some older black Georgians and used the expresson, “You folks.” The reaction was not good. I knew not to say “you people” but it hadn’t occured to me that “you folks” would be received with the same anger.

2 Likes

Hi, Anna–
Thanks for the head’s up about “you folks,” good to know.
Cheers, J.A.

Hi Sandy,
I feel the same. Mornings are a great time for me to write but I have to dash out the door, so I write at night. It’s a good thing I like my characters as they do keep me up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Violet,
I love Amy Tan and Neil Geiman and John Irving so you can see I am all over the place. I have a contemporary Romance that I am in the final stages of editing so now I’m tackling the Historical Romance I shelved years ago. Or maybe I’ll dive back into the fantasy novel I started.

I love food trucks, so if I were to own one, I’d probably serve Dosas. I’m still learning how to make them, but they are delicious when it turns out.

Best hour to write is mornings, but it’s hard to fit in when I’m stretched for time. It takes me time to settle in and let the characters back in my head. So evenings are when I write usually unless it’s my day off.

1 Like

I’m always late to everything, including this forum. But I can still answer:

• What do you like to read?
    What DON’T I like to read? Probably the thing I gravitate toward, across genres, is a story that makes the improbable seem not only possible but quite realistic. And I’ve come to realize that a good writer gets there not by plot twists, but by character development. When I trust in the characters, I trust in what they tell me, even if they’re lies.
  • If you owned a food truck, what kind of food would it sell?
    It would be Japanese comfort food: onigiris (rice balls, what some people call musubi) but not sushi, the kind with only vegetable centers; tempura, miso soup, Japanese pickles, udon, somen, all sorts of noodles. And the most basic of them all – ochazuke (white rice with green tea poured over it) … oishi!!
  • The best hour for writing is ___, because __.
    Morning, because if you do it then, it doesn’t hang over your head all day. I like to begin the day free of guilt.
1 Like

Hello People of the Worldly wordy World, okay that needed to pop out. I am in desperate need of silliness! feels so good - been a tough year…okay, but I got hold of some amazing reading! SHARON BLACKIE! Yes, “If women rose rooted.” AND “HAGITUDE” Is that tittle genius or what! Yes women of the world - we don’t have to go and hide under a frickin’ rock after 40 or 50 or ever! We can hang out and do cool stuff for the world! YAY! Thanks Sharon Blackie.
The food truck would have my favorite food combinations. I love soup but add a sopapilla to that. Or if you want REAL PASTA, do a garlic pasta Sicilian style, or the best perfect hot sandwich…which brings me to my own roots: Italian American born in San Francisco. I am a performer, singer, poet, satirist, director and creative coach.
Thank you all for being here…
My good friend and editor extraordinaire told me about YOU ALL. Her name is Charlene Poirier…gorgeous French name. Try to pronounce it…just rolls off the tongue like that pasta…
BEST HOUR for writing is when you are driving and eating a sandwich because if its that good, you’ll pullover and write that idea down!
OR
probably morning…
LALA

2 Likes

I like to read lots of things! Some of my favorites lately have been British supernatural police procedural, such as the Rivers of London series, or the Laundry series. I love fantasy but not usually the elves and dwarves stuff, unless its actually Lord of the Rings. Some literary fiction. Nothing with descriptors on the back cover such as “bittersweet” or “family saga.”

If I owned a food truck it would sell delicious, gluten free versions of lots of my favorites - pizza, deep fried whatever, ice cream cones, like that.

The best hour for writing is the hour immediately after I have gotten up, walked my dogs, and made my coffee. On a good day, the sun is just starting to rise.

1 Like

Hello, and thanks for the welcome!

I mostly read murder mysteries on the “cosy” end of the scale, but only genuine golden age ones or well-written new ones set in the “golden age”. Not the really silly ones full of anachronisms! Some good series are the Dandy Gilver books by Catriona McPherson, the Josephine Fox books by Claire Gradidge, the Albert Campion series by Mike Ripley, and my recommendation for a perfect original golden age murder mystery is Alibi Innings by Barbara Worsely Gough.

I can’t imagine having a food truck as I’m a terrible cook, but if I did, it would definitely be a vintage van.

My best hour for writing is around 10 - 11am after a walk, but it tends to continue on beyond an hour, so I don’t get any of my “real” work done! (I’m a sewing pattern designer.)

I’ve been scribbling notes for my own murder mystery set in England in 1949, for almost four years, but I’m finally making progress thanks to Daniel’s Plotting and Planning course. I’m planning the scenes for stage one, and hope to begin the first draft very soon!

2 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is Aaron and I am an author in Southern California. We live up in the San Bernardino Mountains which is litterally a dream come true (almost 2 yrs now) - course snowmagedon 2023 was NOT a dream come true. I write YA Fantasy / SciFi and have authored 1 book, a YA Portal Fantasy novel called Netherworld that I am working on getting ready for Agent submissions and I am working on plotting out a YA Urban SciFi novel and the Netherworld sequel.

I love photography and even did that full time for a year. I am a father of 7 and a proud PopPop to 1.

I can’t wait to meet everyone.

2 Likes

My reading taste is eclectic, but my favourite books are thrillers. Lee Child, Karen Slaughter, David Baldacci, and Tess Garritsen are among the authors I like to read. I also write in this genre.
If I owned a food truck, I would sell pitas. I love fresh vegetables and falafel with a tangy sauce.
The best time of day for me to write is early morning. By mid-day, my creative brain fades. Sometimes, I get a second wind after dinner when I write until I can no longer keep my eyes open.

What do you like to read?

YA, fantasy, non-fiction, horror, comedy, drama (coming of age), nonlinear psychological thrillers - pass me on the romance

If you owned a food truck, what kind of food would it sell?

The best hour for writing is just after a nap, because weird dreams make for interesting inspo.

1 Like

Hello,

• I love to read recommendations of any book in most genres. I mostly like stories about overcoming obstacles and some light sci-fi a lot of action and even classics.

• If I could own a food truck, I would sell a breakfast sandwich packed in protein but a little health twist. Maybe a buckwheat pancake version of a McGriddle with turkey bacon and egg whites.

• The best hour for writing is _any, because I write when I can and time of day does not matter.

1 Like
  • I love to read the Pendergast Novels by Preston and Child - always a great thriller with twists and turns.
  • If I owned a food truck, it would sell Caribbean food.
  • The best hour for writing is 8pm on, because there’re no distractions.

Hi All, introducing myself:
Jim Lawrence, magazine writer/editor/photographer for 30 years, wrote four nature photo books.
I’m working on a novel I’ve written tons of scenes and notes for over the years. Then the Plot Forest Summit somehow landed on my computer and 27 frenzied note-taking sessions later as a freebie, I was so grateful for all the presentations, and to Daniel and staff in particular, that I bought the pass. so I can go back through these sessions, especially my faves, and really absorb. And implement as needed.
The Qs:

• What do you like to read?
    Sci fi, literature (Hemingway has been with me since high school.) but I’m a lazy reader. I’m not up on contemporary fiction and need to join a book group to get over my self indulgence with guilty pleasures like Elmore Leonard and Lee Child, where I binge sometimes for a few weeks.
  • If you owned a food truck, what kind of food would it sell?
    Organic vegetarian Mexican food. Fresh fruit smoothies/breakfast bowls, with oat milk and stevia drops a requirement for all sweeting. Veggie burgers/hot dogs but fresh tuna and turkey, I’m not a purist.
  • The best hour for writing is mid morning to mid afternoon, because I’m a senior and don’t get my energy rolling productively until around 9-10. I wake up around 6:30-7 no matter when I go to bed, say after watching two episodes of Drops of God or Bodies, so sometimes it’s a bit of a slog to get moving.
    Looking forward to meet some of you on this journey.
    I consider myself a newbie. I thought I knew how to write…until I dove into my novel.
1 Like

Hello! I am another newish author who found my way to the Plot Forest Summit this past week courtesy of an email from one of the sponsors. I’d never heard of this conference until that invitation.

I read things that make me happy (mostly). Sci-Fi / fantasy especially books that are “coming of age” stories or ones that highlight growth and development. At the moment, I’m listening to audio books while walking.

Food truck? Fresh fruit and frozen fruit pops. Sweet but healthy treats.

Best hour for writing? I keep a journal at my bedside and write down the ideas I awoke with. Sometimes that’s 3am. But, mostly, 10am-noon is my most productive time for writing.

VJK

1 Like
  • My favourite types of books are long series that have fantasy elements. I’m currently obsessed with Michelle Sagara’s Chronicles of Elantra series and Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock series.

• If I had a food truck it would sell poutines because I cannot get enough of them.

• For me the best time to write is either a half hour before I start work at the daycare or the hour after work when I’m waiting to pick up my roommate from work. I’m alone and can work out the scenes in my head without interruption

I like to read paranormal romance (JR Ward, Sherilyn Kenyon) and true crime.
If I owned a food truck, it would be limited to lemon shakes.
The best hour for writing is midnight to 2 am because after everyone is asleep, I have a whole other life,

Hello! My name is River (they/them). I like to read a lot of different kinds of books…non-fiction, fiction, fantasy… especially anything that really makes you think or consider something new.
If I owned a food truck, it would probably be gluten-free and vegan food because there are not enough options for that where I live!
The best hour for writing is in the morning, once I’ve woken up and started my day but before I get too busy with other tasks (bonus points if it’s before my partner is awake!)