Thursday Book Club - Books on Writing that you recommend

Finally started Secret History; Donna Tartt. Excellent intro with just enough inner thoughts and expose to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

I love reading about all of these craft books! My current favorite writing book has already been mentioned in this thread (Save the Cat Writes a Novel by Jessica Brody).

Thanks to @Jen for recommending The Last Draft: A Novelist’s Guide to Revision by Sandra Scofield. I am super close to finishing my manuscript, and I just ordered a copy. I’m excited to be so close to the revision stage, and this book looks like it’ll be very insightful (I peeked at the opening pages on Amazon before I ordered).

1 Like

Sorry if this is too late, but has anyone mentioned Debra Dixon’s Goal, Motivation and Conflict? This one should be a must-have on every writer’s bookshelf. Other great books are Story Physics by Larry Brooks; Word Painting by Rebecca McClanahan; Writing Fiction by Gotham Writers’ Workshop; and another brilliant book every fiction author should have - Actions : The Actor’s Thesaurus by Marina Caldarone and Maggie Lloyd-Williams. I acquired this last book while at Uni many years ago. I was doing a Film & Theater elective and this was a required text - well, it is absolutely brilliant and is an invaluable resource for any fiction author who wishes to create truly compelling and active characters.

2 Likes