Plot Summit October 21 -- idea thread

Next session idea: how to add length to a novel without it becoming ‘filler’ or ‘padding’.

You can often tell when scenes and characters have been added as padding. Especially flashbacks. And sub-plots that don’t contribute to the main plot. Or characters who turn up to deliver further exposition and disappear.

There’s usually a reason why those Deleted Scenes get deleted or the editor’s red pen strikes through whole pages with a side note that just says “pace!”

2 Likes

Laughed til I cried. Thank you, @rtcatling and @DeAnna

1 Like

Yes, @kellygunteratlas. I can see how that would help flesh them out more.

And btw, no need to apologise for “taking a while to get back to me” as you put it. I think we all visit in sporadic moments, either with time on our hands or to take a break from what else we’re doing. Apparently it’s been 3 days since you wrote, so now it would be my turn to apologise. :smiley:

2 Likes

Great idea! I asked.

$5,000 speaking fee, sadly.

2 Likes

The summit has a fantastic speaker line up. But I’m still struggling to find a writer who can teach us about plotting a long series. Robin Hobb and Kate Elliot both declined.

1 Like

Perhaps author Tim Tigner (Kyle Achilles series) would be willing to join in? He does read and answer all of his own emails.
tim@timtigner.com

1 Like

Re: plotting long series, Christine Feehan, Nalini Singh? Nalini I’ve met and she’s lovely.

2 Likes

Nalini Singh would be wonderful. Do you happen to have contact info? (Her website directs people like me to her publicist, which I will try, but will probably get a no.)

1 Like

Sadly, no. She’s part of RWNZ, which is where I’ve met her at conference. But I didn’t exchange contact details with her (only kumara chips = french fries made from sweet potato). I’m wondering though whether contacting her via RWNZ might be an option, though her publicist is probably a better route. Sorry I can’t help, but she is very approachable (no airs and graces at all, totally down to earth) so you may find you have better success than you think you’ll have.

1 Like

Cool! What is

– Romance Writers of New Zealand?

1 Like

Yes. Sorry for the acronym. Romance Writers of New Zealand, found at: https://www.romancewriters.co.nz/

It happens to be the strongest writing organisation in New Zealand, so attracts writers from a variety of genres, not just romance.

Requested! Let’s see what happens.

1 Like

Just signed up and received the summit schedule. Daniel’s got so many of our suggested speakers it looks like a really good line up.

I’ve just got to manage 4 part-time jobs and a transatlantic time difference to get to all of them…

3 Likes

Oooh - I’m excited to hear whether she accepts your invitation. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

There was a really good course about breaking down The Help. I’m trying to find it but someone I read or learn from did a reverse engineering that helped me so much I had to write her a letter. Talk about weaving the plot.