NANOWRIMO — are you thinking about it?

The whole, lovely idea of NaNoWriMo is writing as many words as you can. They don’t have to be the best words, you don’t need to end up with a clean draft. It’s about building a habit and breaking through the fears and anxieties to get words flowing! Because you have to write FAST to write 50,000 words in 30 days.

I have found it very helpful to have a general outline of my story – if I have a list of scenes I know I want to have in the story, it’s easier to jump around and keep writing if I get stuck.

3 Likes

Carrie – I’m a nearly daily writer if that helps.

2 Likes

Greetings! I don’t have a group because I have been a little shy about committing, but I’d really like to. In order to do so, I have to finish up my current project by or before mid-October and I am going to really try to do that. It will mean increasing my daily word count, but I think I might be able to do it.

3 Likes

Sorry! (Control return does not give me a paragraph break. Learning, learning…) Yes, I am a daily writer. I just started writing fiction this year after writing nonfiction for a while. It has been a terrific experience – like the cupboard door flew open! I am learning something new literally every day. I feel very fortunate.

4 Likes

I’m thinking about it. It would fit in between my current projects quite well.

1 Like

Yes, I want to do it and am hoping to. I need the distraction as it falls during the 1 year marker for when I almost didn’t make it out of the hospital alive. I’m hoping to hit no serious snags and it’ll be feasible to do. I have my plot figured out, though I might end up working on it too soon for a class starting next week. We will see, but either way I fully plan to participate again this year.

3 Likes

I am thinking about it. I find the silly stickers motivating.

3 Likes

Oooh! You get stickers? I had no idea. That settles it. I’m in. Seriously, I have decided to do it because it appears the current project will be far enough along where it will make sense. I’m excited!

5 Likes

This great! Should we host something in this group? Or is the regular NANO site better for that?

1 Like

I personally don’t know what the site is like, but I like the idea of maybe having a dedicated space here during NANO where at the end of every week we can talk about how our progress is going or give encouragement to anyone that needs it.

5 Likes

And, there’s stickers . . . Yeah, having a little mud on your boots helps with the momentum.

1 Like

Okay cool! Let me think about it.

1 Like

Just a quick note on NANO and surrogate sites. National Novel Writing Month, their agents and organization is a registered charity who’s main purpose is to raise funds and awareness for literacy in schools and educational programs around the world. They have well-developed forums, templates, and all manner of joining for participants who may or may not write to be involved. I have supported (financially, and as a participant) this worthy cause for the last - this will be my eighth year - and whether I’m writing with the group, or simply getting the word out, I find round tables, circles, and working critiques outside the official group a dilution of the intended purpose. I am neither pro, nor con in any endeavor of any group I’ve been honored to support, join, or attend. But, I hope all will realize that loving Girl Scout cookies and their purpose may be noble, but deciding to have a bake sale while discussing these platitudes isn’t playing fair.

3 Likes

That’s a powerful way of thinking about it. Thank you.

NaNoWriMo does offer “Writing Groups” – a place where friends can get together on the NaNo site to chat and share stats. Sort of a private chat room feature. We could create one for this group, which would allow anyone who wanted to to have a common place to share thoughts and accomplishments. Might be more streamlined than having a separate thing on this page. Although it wouldn’t hurt to start a NaNoWriMo Venting thread here on November 1. :wink:

5 Likes

Why whatever would a writer have to discuss whilst trying to get sixteen million thousand words down on day 28? I know last year I had to buy several vowels just to finish.

2 Likes

Umm, moral support? Camaraderie? Shared frustrations and shared successes? To me, this would seem the whole point in doing it. If you aren’t sharing the experience, why bother doing it?

3 Likes

From the “sixteen million thousand” and having to buy vowels as a reference to the game show Wheel of Fortune, I think he was just being funny. Usually prefacing with “Why whatever would…” is a clue to someone suggesting the opposite of what they are actually saying. That phrasing might be too colloquial to carry, though, to some readers.

2 Likes

Gotta make sure people know you’re being funny, Daniel!

I have done it every year since 2016. I have learned a lot about what NOT to do. What’s helpful to me is if I prepare an outline before November. But that is easier said than done. Last year was easier because I used dictation a lot. You can get about one thousand words in twenty minutes.

5 Likes