Escape the Plot Forest -- The Plotting Summit

Kris is in! This is fantastic. Great recommendation.

2 Likes

Did the email address I provided next to his name not work?

Let me try that… & Joe Nassise just said he is interested! Thank you for the recommendation!

3 Likes

If I recall correctly, Derek has been living in Thailand so there is a timezone difference to consider in response time. He also mentioned in recent newsletters he has been having some visa troubles with staying there with his wife because of pandemic policies and nationality. I think he is worth pursuing but he may have his plate full with that and the many writing and editing projects he appears to have spread himself thin on recently.

1 Like

Okay. I love all these recommendations. I have discovered so many great writers, speakers, and teachers through this topic thread. THANK YOU. Keep the recommendations coming. Now… I’m going to crowdsource something that may seem rather awkward… but here’s my question: can you recommend any online teachers of fiction writing who are of colour / non-white?

I don’t mean famous authors, necessarily — although if you are close friends with NK Jemisin or Ta-Nehisi Coates, please tell me. I really mean people like me: teachers who have newsletters, online courses, and a blog or a Youtube channel.

To speak frankly: my speaker list, while international and a good mix of men and women, is extremely white at the moment, and while I’ve reached out to some great teachers, I want to keep reaching out to more people.

PS One complication: the “Writing the Other” collective is holding a big event on world-building in October, so I’m not sure if they will be available for another summit (I worked with Nisi Shawl in the past and she was fantastic). But if you definitely want me to ask someone like Nisi, tell me, and I will.

1 Like

There first name to come to mind is Michael La Ronn.

I didn’t think of him earlier before because in my mind I associate him with his videos on Scrivener, Ulysses and Vellum and self-publishing in general, not plotting. I looked back at his YouTube channel and he does have many videos on writing craft. I’ll have to add those to my Watch Later queue.

He is well known on the Alliance of Independent Authors, as co-host of the ALLi Q&A podcast and regularly posts videos on self-publishing topics and writing craft on his YouTube channel: Author Level Up

Email: info@authorlevelup.com
His Websites:
https://www.michaellaronn.com/press/

(Edit: Slight formatting change. The second onebox was being suppressed too. They need a line between them apparently. The content seems to be the same on both sites so it may just be that both domains point to the same place.)

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

What about Stefanie Newell? She has a big following on YouTube.

1 Like

How about Jennie Nash. She runs Author Accelerator and hosts some of the most popular classes on CreativeLive!

1 Like

I stumbled across a freelance editor named Loni Crittenden. She runs Crit & Pen Editorial, and she offers various editorial services. She has a Facebook page here. Also, she offers a five-step story planning system, The Dapper Drafter.

1 Like

She looks great… Reaching out shortly!

1 Like

Okay. The summit (thanks to you all) has a great line up of speakers. Wow. Thank you to @kellygunteratlas @Argent @MsBT @kate and everyone else who recommended names.

New question: now I’m investigating sponsors. I want to reach out to companies that might want to get involved. There is space in the summit site to include a sponsor’s logo.

What companies or tools do you use in your writing life?

• Scrivener
  • Ulysses
  • Pro Writing Aid

What else? What’s a company I could reach out to?

Great news!

Sponsor ideas are: Plottr (great software for writers), Grammarly, Scrivener, and Reedsy might be interested.

If the summit includes anything for non-fiction writers, I can recommend smartblogger.com.

1 Like

That’s fantastic news! As for tools I use, Grammarly on a daily basis. I’ve tried Scrivener and Novel Factory. Others I can think of: Papyrus Author, Dramatica Pro, SmartEdit, LivingWriter, Storyist, Pages, Hemingway Editor, Dropbox, Freedom, and Vellum.

1 Like

Great suggestions.

If anyone else has a tech recommendation, let me know.

Freewrite is a tech company that seems geared to the needs of writers. https://getfreewrite.com/

2 Likes

Oooooooohh…. Great pick.

Have you checked out this year’s NaNoWriMo sponsors yet? They have quite a few new companies/services I’ve never heard of, but that look promising. You might want to reach out to some of them. https://nanowrimo.org/offers

1 Like

Ulysses (the writing app) is going to offer two licenses as raffle prizes for attendees! Hooray!

1 Like

I posted this link and my comments in the pantser and plotting thread, and thought writer/coach Annalisa Parent would be great for the summit.

1 Like