Are Older Writers More Productive?

A while back an article suggesting that older age may hinder a writing career was posted here, and of course, at that time, I put in my tuppence worth (that’s two-pennies worth in oldie-British English) supporting older age as a potential benefit, with many renowned writers being “older”. Today I saw a post on facebook (I hope it’s true) purporting to be a summary of a study reported in the New England Journal of Medicine (very prestigous scientific journal for those who many be unaware). The writer of the FB post was someone called Justin Nutt (I’ve no idea who he is, it was a share by someone else of his post that I saw). Anyway, here’s a copy of his post (i.e. the summary of the study):

An extensive study in the U.S.A found that the most productive age in human life is between 60-70 years of age.
The 2nd. most productive stage of the human being is from 70 to 80 years of age.
The 3rd. most productive stage is from 50 to 60 years of age.
The average age of NOBEL PRIZE winners is 62 years old.
The average age of the presidents of prominent companies in the world is 63 years.
The average age of the pastors of the 100 largest churches in the U.S.A. is 71.
The average age of the Popes is 76 years.
This tells us in a way that it has been determined, that the best years of your life are between 60 and 80 years.
A study published in NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE found that at age 60, you reach the TOP of your potential and this continues into your 80s.
Therefore, if you are between 60 -70 or 70-80 you are in the BEST and 2nd. level of your life.

SOURCE: N.Engl.J .Med. 70,389 (2018) …

I don’t mean anything by this, just thought it was interesting for those “older adults” amongst us … if it’s true (I have no idea). :exploding_head: So, regardless of your age: KEEP ON WRITING!

1 Like

As someone who can no longer remember more than 2 items when I go to the store, or who forgets why they went to an upstairs room in the house when they get there, I am questioning my productivity.

I can say even if I’m not fast, I am more considered in my output.

I am writing three books in a series in parallel. Coaching 7 days a week. Studying for another coaching qualification Doing weekly errands for a relative. Running a sports club. Organising a youth programme for the school holidays.

But all the tasks I used to do for a regular job now take twice as long.

No wonder I’m tired…

3 Likes

It sounds to me that you are most assuredly productive now, even if you function at a different pace.
Good on you!

2 Likes

@kas Bless you, for sharing this!

Even though I have often said to my self at age 50, (it can be hard for me to actually believe it everyday with confidence) that I should see myself as only half way there (to the proverbial finish line) and to realize if I have gone to seed as of late, it is only to bloom again.

Who else really need to hear this today?

Right there with you!

2 Likes

Is good to know I’m still in the running for il Papa!

2 Likes

I’m just warming up to the next two decades! :wink:

1 Like

I am so excited we get to be a part of the best years to come!

1 Like